This book shows how to deliver eye-catching Business Intelligence with Microsoft Power BI Desktop. You can now take data from virtually any source and use it to produce stunning dashboards and compelling reports that will seize your audience’s attention. Slice and dice the data with remarkable ease then add metrics and KPIs to project the insights that create your competitive advantage. Make raw data into clear, accurate, and interactive information with Microsoft’s free self-service business intelligence tool.Pro Power BI Desktop will help you to push your BI delivery to the next level. You’ll learn to create great-looking visualizations and let your audience have fun by interacting with the elegant and visually arresting output that you can now deliver. You can choose from a wide range of built-in and third-party visualization types so that your message is always enhanced. You’ll be able to deliver those results on the PC, on tablets, on smartphones, as well as share results via the cloud. Finally, this book helps you save time by preparing the underlying data correctly without needing an IT department to prepare it for you. Power BI Desktop will let your analyses speak for themselves.
- Simple techniques to make data into insight.
- Polished interactive dashboards to deliver attention-grabbing information.
- Visually arresting output on multiple devices grab the reader’s attention.
- Produce designer output to astound your bosses and peers.
- Share business intelligence in the cloud
- Deliver visually stunning charts, maps, and tables.
- Make them interactive too!
- Find new insights as you chop and tweak your data as never before.
- Adapt delivery to mobile devices such as phones and tablets.
Published by: Apress | Publication date: 04/28/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 509 pages
Renowned DAX experts Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo teach you how to design data models for maximum efficiency and effectiveness. How can you use Excel and Power BI to gain real insights into your information? As you examine your data, how do you write a formula that provides the numbers you need? The answers to both of these questions lie with the data model. This book introduces the basic techniques for shaping data models in Excel and Power BI. It’s meant for readers who are new to data modeling as well as for experienced data modelers looking for tips from the experts. If you want to use Power BI or Excel to analyze data, the many real-world examples in this book will help you look at your reports in a different way–like experienced data modelers do. As you’ll soon see, with the right data model, the correct answer is always a simple one! By reading this book, you will: • Gain an understanding of the basics of data modeling, including tables, relationships, and keys • Familiarize yourself with star schemas, snowflakes, and common modeling techniques • Learn the importance of granularity • Discover how to use multiple fact tables, like sales and purchases, in a complex data model • Manage calendar-related calculations by using date tables • Track historical attributes, like previous addresses of customers or manager assignments • Use snapshots to compute quantity on hand • Work with multiple currencies in the most efficient way • Analyze events that have durations, including overlapping durations • Learn what data model you need to answer your specific business questions About This Book • For Excel and Power BI users who want to exploit the full power of their favorite tools • For BI professionals seeking new ideas for modeling data
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 04/28/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 247 pages
Power BI Step-by-Step Part 1: Up and Running: Power BI Mastery through hands-on Tutorials (Power BI Step by Step)
Self-Service Business Intelligence Power BI enables business users to interact with corporate information and to extract the reports and intel they need. Power BI allows users to access reports and dashboards using familiar tools and devices. Self-service BI has never been so user-friendly!The Microsoft Power BI Step-by-Step series will show you how to create compelling visualizations and reports which provide deep insights into your data.This first book in the series is designed to get you up and running with the three main components of Power BI:Power BI Desktopthe Power BI Serviceand Power BI Mobile Apps. What you will Learn from the Power BI Step-by-Step Series You will learn how to connect to a wide variety of data sources, using both Power BI Desktop, and the Power BI Service. You will be able to use the Query Editor to transform and morph data into the right format for your reporting purposes. You will be able to perform complex data modelling operations using relationships, calculated columns, measures, and DAX expressions.You will learn how to share dashboards and reports, with colleagues, business partners and potential clients; and how to use Power BI’s sophisticated security features to control the exact content your audience is able to view.In short, the Power BI Step-by-Step series will equip you with all the skills you need to start using Power BI with confidence. Power BI CertificationIf you are learning Power BI to improve your job prospects, you may be interested to know that, after reading this book, you can take an online certification test to prove to yourself and colleagues that you really are up and running with Power BI. If you pass the test, you will receive a Certificate of Achievement from G Com Solutions IT Training.
Publication date: 12/11/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 67 pages
Microsoft Power BI Cookbook: Creating Business Intelligence Solutions of Analytical Data Models, Reports, and Dashboards
Configuring Your Power BI Development Tools Accessing and Retrieving Data Building a Power BI Data Model Authoring Power BI Reports Creating Power BI Dashboards Getting Serious with Date Intelligence Parameterizing Your Power BI Solutions Implementing Dynamic User-Based Visibility in Power BI Applying Advanced Analytics and Custom Visuals Developing Solutions for System Monitoring and Administration Enhancing and Optimizing Existing Power BI Solutions Deploying and Distributing Power BI Content Integrating Power BI with other Applications
- From connecting to your data sources to developing and deploying immersive, mobile-ready dashboards and visualizations, this book covers it all
- Over 90 hands-on, technical recipes, tips, and use cases from across the Power BI platform including the Power BI Service and Mobile Applications
- Proven development techniques and guidance for implementing custom solutions with DAX and M languages
- Cleanse, stage, and integrate your data sources with Power BI
- Abstract data complexities and provide users with intuitive, self-service BI capabilities
- Build business logic and analysis into your solutions via the DAX programming language and dynamic, dashboard-ready calculations
- Take advantage of the analytics and predictive capabilities of Power BI
- Make your solutions more dynamic and user specific and/or defined including use cases of parameters, functions, and row level security
- Understand the differences and implications of DirectQuery, Live Connections, and Import-Mode Power BI datasets and how to deploy content to the Power BI Service and schedule refreshes
- Integrate other Microsoft data tools such as Excel and SQL Server Reporting Services into your Power BI solution
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 09/27/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 802 pages
Get a head start evaluating Windows 10--with technical insights from award-winning journalist and Windows expert Ed Bott. This guide introduces new features and capabilities, providing a practical, high-level overview for IT professionals ready to begin deployment planning now. This edition was written after the release of Windows 10 version 1511 in November 2015 and includes all of its enterprise-focused features. The goal of this book is to help you sort out what’s new in Windows 10, with a special emphasis on features that are different from the Windows versions you and your organization are using today, starting with an overview of the operating system, describing the many changes to the user experience, and diving deep into deployment and management tools where it’s necessary.
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 02/18/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 307 pages
A software architect’s digest of core practices, pragmatically applied Designing effective architecture is your best strategy for managing project complexity–and improving your results. But the principles and practices of software architecting–what the authors call the “science of hard decisions”–have been evolving for cloud, mobile, and other shifts. Now fully revised and updated, this book shares the knowledge and real-world perspectives that enable you to design for success–and deliver more successful solutions. In this fully updated Second Edition, you will:
- Learn how only a deep understanding of domain can lead to appropriate architecture
- Examine domain-driven design in both theory and implementation
- Shift your approach to code first, model later–including multilayer architecture
- Capture the benefits of prioritizing software maintainability
- See how readability, testability, and extensibility lead to code quality
- Take a user experience (UX) first approach, rather than designing for data
- Review patterns for organizing business logic
- Use event sourcing and CQRS together to model complex business domains more effectively Delve inside the persistence layer, including patterns and implementation.
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 08/28/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 418 pages
Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2016: Mission-Critical Applications, Deeper Insights, Hyperscale Cloud
With Microsoft SQL Server 2016, a variety of new features and enhancements to the data platform deliver breakthrough performance, advanced security, and richer, integrated reporting and analytics capabilities. In this ebook, we introduce new security features: Always Encrypted, Row-Level Security, and dynamic data masking; discuss enhancements that enable you to better manage performance and storage: TemDB configuration, query store, and Stretch Database; review several improvements to Reporting Services; and also describe AlwaysOn Availability Groups, tabular enhancements, and R integration.
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 06/28/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 558 pages
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book. Introducing Microsoft Power BI enables you to evaluate when and how to use Power BI. Get inspired to improve business processes in your company by leveraging the available analytical and collaborative features of this environment. Be sure to watch for the publication of Alberto Ferrari and Marco Russo's upcoming retail book, Analyzing Data with Power BI and Power Pivot for Excel (ISBN 9781509302765). Go to the book's page at the Microsoft Press Store here for more details:http://aka.ms/analyzingdata/details. Learn more about Power BI at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/.
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 07/07/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 351 pages
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book. Implement maximum control, security, and compliance processes in Azure cloud environments In Microsoft Azure Security Infrastructure ,1/e three leading experts show how to plan, deploy, and operate Microsoft Azure with outstanding levels of control, security, and compliance. You’ll learn how to prepare infrastructure with Microsoft’s integrated tools, prebuilt templates, and managed services–and use these to help safely build and manage any enterprise, mobile, web, or Internet of Things (IoT) system. The authors guide you through enforcing, managing, and verifying robust security at physical, network, host, application, and data layers. You’ll learn best practices for security-aware deployment, operational management, threat mitigation, and continuous improvement–so you can help protect all your data, make services resilient to attack, and stay in control no matter how your cloud systems evolve. Three Microsoft Azure experts show you how to: • Understand cloud security boundaries and responsibilities • Plan for compliance, risk management, identity/access management, operational security, and endpoint and data protection • Explore Azure’s defense-in-depth security architecture • Use Azure network security patterns and best practices • Help safeguard data via encryption, storage redundancy, rights management, database security, and storage security • Help protect virtual machines with Microsoft Antimalware for Azure Cloud Services and Virtual Machines • Use the Microsoft Azure Key Vault service to help secure cryptographic keys and other confidential information • Monitor and help protect Azure and on-premises resources with Azure Security Center and Operations Management Suite • Effectively model threats and plan protection for IoT systems • Use Azure security tools for operations, incident response, and forensic investigation
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 08/19/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 224 pages
From IT Pro to Cloud Pro Microsoft Office 365 and SharePoint Online (IT Best Practices - Microsoft Press)
This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book. Modernize your IT skills for the new world of cloud computing! Whether you are an IT administrator, developer, or architect, cloud technologies are transforming your role. This guide brings together the knowledge you need to transition smoothly to Microsoft Office 365 cloud-only and hybrid environments. Microsoft MVP Ben Curry and leading cloud architect Brian Laws present specific, up-to-date guidance on administering key cloud technologies, including Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint Online, Azure AD, and OneDrive for Business. Microsoft cloud technology experts Ben Curry and Brian Laws show you how to:
- Anticipate and respond to the ways cloud technologies change your responsibilities, such as scripting key management tasks via Windows PowerShell
- Understand today’s new mix of essential “Cloud Pro” skills related to infrastructure, scripting, security, and networking
- Master modern cloud administration for Office 365 cloud and hybrid environments to deliver content and services, any time, on any device, from anywhere, and across organizational boundaries
- Administer and configure SharePoint Online, including services, site collections, and hybrid features
- Help secure client devices via Mobile Device Management for Office 365
- Centrally manage user profiles, groups, apps, and social features
- Bridge Office 365 and on-premises environments to share identities and data
- Enforce governance, security, and compliance
Published by: Microsoft Press | Publication date: 10/17/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 322 pages