Turbocharge your reasoning with Critical Thinking Just what are the ingredients of a great argument? What is the secret to communicating your ideas clearly and persuasively? And how do you see through sloppy thinking and flim-flam? If you’ve ever asked any of these questions, then this book is for you! These days, strong critical thinking skills provide a vital foundation for academic success, and Critical Thinking Skills For Dummies offers a clear and unintimidating introduction to what can otherwise be a pretty complex topic. Inside, you'll get hands-on, lively, and fun exercises that you can put to work today to improve your arguments and pin down key issues. With this accessible and friendly guide, you'll get plain-English instruction on how to identify other people's assumptions, methodology, and conclusions, evaluate evidence, and interpret texts effectively. You'll also find tips and guidance on reading between the lines, assessing validity – and even advice on when not to apply logic too rigidly! Critical Thinking Skills for Dummies:
- Provides tools and strategies from a range of disciplines great for developing your reflective thinking skills
- Offers expert guidance on sound reasoning and textual analysis
- Shows precisely how to use concept mapping and brainstorming to generate insights
- Demonstrates how critical thinking skills is a proven path to success as a student
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 03/18/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 318 pages
All the practical advice you need for starting a business Starting a business? Don't sweat it! Reflecting today's unique opportunities and challenges, Starting a Business All-In-One For Dummies is packed with everything you need to manage your personal and business risks and successfully navigate your first year in business. Written in plain English and packed with simple, step-by-step instructions, it shows you how to start up your dream business from scratch, write a winning business plan, secure financing, manage your risks successfully, navigate your first year of operation, and much more! The information inside is amassed from 11 bestselling For Dummies books, covering everything from franchising and home-based businesses to bookkeeping, accounting, branding, and marketing. If you're a go-getter looking for a way to launch a great idea and be your own boss, Starting a Business All-In-One For Dummies prepares you to beat the odds and become successful in your sector.
- Covers proven strategies on successfully branding and marketing your business
- Includes step-by-step guidance on keeping on top of the books
- Provides coverage of employee engagement and motivating employees
- Offers helpful hints for overcoming obstacles in starting a business
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 04/15/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 530 pages
Grow your stock investments in today's changing environment Updated with new and revised material to reflect the current market, this new edition of Stock Investing For Dummies gives you proven strategies for selecting and managing profitable investments. no matter what the conditions. You'll find out how to navigate the new economic landscape and choose the right stock for different situations—with real-world examples that show you how to maximize your portfolio. The economic and global events affecting stock investors have been dramatic and present new challenges and opportunities for investors and money managers at every level. With the help of this guide, you'll quickly and easily navigate an ever-changing stock market with plain-English tips and information on ETFs, new rules, exchanges, and investment vehicles, as well as the latest information on the European debt crisis.
- Incorporate stocks into your investment portfolio
- Understand and capitalize on current market conditions
- Balance risk and reward
- Explore new investment opportunities
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 04/05/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 348 pages
Understand why you feel and act the way you do Psychology For Dummies is a fun, user-friendly guide to the basics of human behavior and mental processes. In plain English—and using lots of everyday examples—psychologist Dr. Adam Cash cuts through the jargon to explain what psychology is all about and what it tells you about why you do the things you do. With this book as your guide, you'll: gain profound insights into human nature; understand yourself better; make sense of individual and group behaviors; explore different approaches in psychology; recognize problems in yourself and others; make informed choices when seeking psychological counseling; and much more.
- Shows you how understanding human psychology can help you make better decisions, avoid things that cause stress, manage your time to a greater degree, and set goals
- Helps you make informed choices when seeking psychological counseling
- Serves as an invaluable supplement to classroom learning
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 06/21/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 387 pages
The Bible For Dummies (9781119293507) was previously published as The Bible For Dummies (9780764552960). While this version features a new Dummies cover and design, the content is the same as the prior release and should not be considered a new or updated product. Discover the world’s all-time bestseller in an entirely new lightNinety percent of Americans own a copy of the Bible, and while it's the most widely read book, it's also the least understood. Regardless of your religion, understanding the Bible brings much of Western art, literature, and public discourse into greater focus—from Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" painting to the Wachowski brothers' The Matrix movies. People have historically turned to religion to deal with tragedy and change, and with the right insight, the Bible can be an accessible, helpful guide to life's big questions. The Bible For Dummies appeals to people of all faiths, as well as those who don't practice any particular religion, by providing interfaith coverage of the entire Bible and the often fascinating background information that makes the Bible come alive. You'll find answers to such questions as:
- Where did the Bible come from?
- Who wrote the Bible?
- How is the Bible put together?
- Ten people in the Bible you should know
- The Hebrew Bible
- The Apocrypha's hidden treasures
- What's new about the New Testament
- Israel's wisdom, literature, and love poetry
- The Bible's enduring influence
- The prophets: more than fortunetellers
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 05/31/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 443 pages
The bestselling 'bible' of project management In today's time-crunched, cost-conscious global business environment, tight project deadlines and stringent expectations are the norm. So how can you juggle all the skills and responsibilities it takes to shine as a project management maven? Updated in a brand-new edition, Project Management For Dummies offers everything you need to successfully manage projects from start to finish—without ever dropping the ball. Written by a well-known project management expert, this hands-on guide takes the perplexity out of being a successful PM, laying out all the steps to take your organizational, planning, and execution skills to new heights. Whether it's managing distressed projects, embracing the use of social media to drive efficiency and improve socialization, or resolving conflicts that occur during a project, the soup-to-nuts guidance inside will help you wear your project management hat more prominently—and proudly.
- Get the latest in industry best practices reflecting PMBOK 6
- Motivate any team to gain maximum productivity
- Execute projects on time and with maximum efficiency
- Prepare for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 09/06/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 420 pages
Weave your way through the tangled web of Medicare Medicare for Dummies, 3rd Edition will help you navigate the complicated, often confusing maze of the Medicare system. In simple language, with clear step-by-step instructions, the book helps you determine how and when to enroll, avoid costly mistakes, and find a plan that is right for you and your family. Written byPatricia Barry, a nationally recognized authority on Medicare and Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage, this invaluable resource offers: • Tips on reducing out-of-pocket expenses • Guidance for knowing your rights and protections • Ways to choose the best policy for you With this definitive guide, you’ll get answers to the most common and not so common questions about Medicare, to get the most out of your coverage.
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 09/25/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 432 pages
A new edition of the trusted trading resource Updated with new facts, charts, and strategies to help investors beat today’s tough markets, Trading Options For Dummies helps you choose the right options based on your investing needs. It will show you how to weigh the costs and benefits, build a strategy to gain no matter the market conditions, and broaden your retirement portfolio with index, equity, and ETF options. Because options cost less than stocks, they’re a versatile trading instrument. If you’re an investor with some general knowledge of trading but want a better understanding of risk factors, new techniques, and an overall improved profit outcome, Trading Options For Dummies is the book for you.
- Protect your investments against a decline in market prices
- Increase your income on current or new investments
- Buy an equity at a lower price
- Benefit from an equity price’s rise or fall without owning it or selling it outright
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 08/09/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 377 pages
An updated edition of the bestselling guide on reprogramming one's negative thoughts and behaviour Once the province of mental health professionals, CBT (or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) has gained wide acceptance as the treatment of choice for anyone looking to overcome anxiety, manage anger, beat an addiction, lose weight or simply gain a new outlook on life. Written by two CBT therapists, this bestselling guide helps you apply the principles of CBT in your everyday life-allowing you to spot errors in your thinking; tackle toxic thoughts; refocus and retrain your awareness; and finally, stand up to and become free of the fear, depression, anger, and obsessions that have been plaguing you.
- Includes tips on establishing ten healthy attitudes for living as well as ten ways to lighten up
- Helps you chart a path by defining problems and setting goals
- Offers advice on taking a fresh look at your past, overcoming any obstacles to progress as well as ways to maintain your CBT gains
- Includes new and refreshed content, including chapters on how to beat an addiction and overcome body image issues
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 09/02/2010Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 416 pages
Now updated! Your personal tour guide to the history of the world Want to know more about global history? This concise guide explains in clear detail all the major players and events that have made the world what it is today. Covering the entirety of human history, this comprehensive resource highlights important developments in everything from religion and science to art and war — giving you an understanding of how the 21st-century world came to be.
- Begin to connect with the past — label the eras as you meet the Neanderthals, home in on Homer, raise Atlantis, and preserve Pharaohs
- Find strength in numbers — trace the growth from ancient civilizations to today's global community and discover what makes societies succeed or fail
- Discover the impact of thought — explore the rise of religion, the roots of philosophy, and the advance of science — and how our feelings and beliefs continually redefined us
- Know the global consequences of war — ride with the Greeks and the Romans, arm yourself with the cavalry, dig the trenches, and follow the paths humans took to wage modern war
- Meet the movers and shakers — from great leaders and courageous revolutionaries to ruthless tyrants and unsung heroes
- Examine significant events of the 21st century — from 9/11 and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars to climate change, Hurricane Katrina, and the economic rise of China, India, and Brazil
- A detailed overview of history
- The development of the world's religions
- Reviews of essential historical documents, from the Bible to the Bill of Rights
- The invention of writing and art
- Scientific developments that revolutionized the world
- Capsule biographies of people who changed history — and a few who were changed by it
- Ten unforgettable dates in world history
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 11/18/2009Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 408 pages