This book uniquely covers both the physics of photovoltaic (PV) cells and the design of PV systems for real-life applications. From the fundamental principles of semiconductor solar cells; through PV technology (crystalline silicon solar cells; thin-film cells; PV modules); to components, design, deployment and performance of PV systems in use. The book is an invaluable reference for researchers, industrial engineers and designers working in solar energy generation. The book is also ideal for university and third-level physics or engineering courses on solar photovoltaics, with exercises to check students’ understanding and reinforce learning. It is the perfect companion to the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Solar Energy (DelftX, ET.3034TU) presented by co-author Arno Smets. The course is available in English on the nonprofit open source edX.org platform, and in Arabic on edraak.org. Over 100,000 students have already registered for these MOOCs.
Published by: UIT Cambridge | Publication date: 01/28/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 488 pages
This 2-hour free course explored the potential of the sun to provide useable thermonuclear energy, and the technical feasibility of harnessing it.
Published by: The Open University | Publication date: 03/01/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 26 pages
New Internet Linked Edition to Free Solar Resources and Free Solar Calculators!The book 'Solar Power Demystified: The Beginners Guide To Solar Power, Energy Independence And Lower Bills' introduces you to the world of solar electric panels and systems. It reveals you the reasons why photovoltaic solar panels are continuing to gain worldwide popularity and are becoming more important as a source of renewable energy. You can see the question "To go or not to go solar?" discussed in its practical aspects. Furthermore you are advised what kind of solar electric system you need and how to evaluate whether your home is 'solar-ready' or not You are also introduced to the basics of photovoltaics and to the main types of solar electric systems and their components. The book is intended to provide basic information to everyone who makes first steps in the world of photovoltaics and needs the matter explained in an easy-to-understand and straightforward way. The book exposes:
- Photovoltaics in the world of renewable energy
- Advantages of photovoltaics in a summary
- Why are photovoltaics continuing to gain worldwide popularity?
- Why is the cost of photovoltaics decreasing?
- Drawbacks of photovoltaics
- What are the main applications of solar electric systems?
- To go or not to go solar - that is the question!
- Some issues to consider before going solar
- Why would you need a solar electric system?
- Don't go solar before reading this!
- What kind of solar electric system do you need?
- How big solar electric system do you need?
- How to finance the cost of your solar electric system?
- Financial incentives
- Is your building solar-ready?
- How to assess your location for solar resource?
- Why the condition of your roof does matter
- Free solar panels
- Solar power for business owners
- Energy efficiency above all
- How to improve the energy efficiency of your building
- The basics of solar power
- Solar electric systems
- Grid-connected solar electric systems
- Stand-alone (off-grid) solar electric systems
- Advantages and drawbacks of stand-alone systems
- Why are off-grid systems attractive?
- Main applications of stand-alone solar electric systems
- Selecting your solar vendor
- What to be careful about
Published by: Digital Publishing Ltd | Publication date: 03/05/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 153 pages
How will the world be powered in ten years' time? Not by fossil fuels. Energy experts are all saying the same thing: solar photovoltaics (PV) is our future. Reports from universities, investment banks, international institutions and large investors agree. It's not about whether the switch from fossil fuels to solar power will happen, but when.Solar panels are being made that will last longer than ever hoped; investors are seeing the benefits of the long-term rewards provided by investing in solar; in the Middle East, a contractor can now offer solar-powered electricity far cheaper than that of a coal-fired power station. The Switch tracks the transition away from coal, oil and gas to a world in which the limitless energy of the sun provides much of the energy the 10 billion people of this planet will need. It examines both the solar future and how we will get there, and the ways in which we will provide stored power when the sun isn't shining. We learn about artificial photosynthesis from a start-up in the US that is making petrol from just CO2 and sunlight; ideas on energy storage are drawn from a company in Germany that makes batteries for homes; in the UK, a small company in Swindon has the story of wind turbines; and in Switzerland, a developer shows how we can use hydrogen to make 'renewable' natural gas for heating.Told through the stories of entrepreneurs, inventors and scientists from around the world, and using the latest research and studies, The Switch provides a positive solution to the climate change crisis, and looks to a brighter future ahead.
Published by: Profile Books | Publication date: 07/07/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 288 pages
If you want to introduce alternative power supplies around the house and garden or even live totally off-grid in your boat, caravan or yurt and need a practical introduction to solar power and 12 volt supplies, here is the essential eBook guide to the subject.
Published by: Permanent Publications | Publication date: 12/12/2011Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 128 pages
Understanding Solar EnergySolar energy is free and it is located everywhere where the sun is shining. However, harnessing the energy of sun in order to convert it to electricity or heat is not an easy task. You need to use the right equipment as well as design basics in order to harness the energy of the sun effectively.There are many benefits of using solar energy to heat up or power your home. One of the most important benefits of using this renewable energy is that you can help save the environment. This green energy can also help you reduce the cost of your energy bill by as much as half. However, if you opt for solar energy to power your house, you need to educate yourself about the many options that you have. Thus, this book will serve as your guide.With this book, you can learn the following:
- Learn about the benefits of using solar energy in Chapter 1. Moreover, the same chapter will also give you insightful ideas on how you can finance as well as get incentives for using solar power energy.
- This book also teaches you on the things that you need to consider before deciding to adopt this system to your house. Installing solar power systems have several requirements thus it is crucial to know what these requirements are in order to make the most out of solar power energy.
- Chapter 3 also discusses the different types of solar power systems that you can opt for. The chapter gives in-depth discussion on photovoltaic, concentrated and passive solar power systems.
Published by: Loco Media | Publication date: 02/05/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 40 pages
Solar Power: Start For Beginners: How To Setup Your Personal Solar Power System And Supply Your Home With Electricity: (Energy Independence, Lower Bills ... Grid Living) (Self Reliance, Solar Energy)
Solar Power: Start For Beginners:How To Setup Your Personal Solar Power System And Supply Your Home With ElectricitySolar energy is one of the most successful alternative energy sources currently available in the market. It works on a simple premise. Sunlight contains energy and when this hits the photovoltaic panels it provides power by releasing the electron and allowing it to move; this energy is harnessed and can be used to power any electrical item. Not all panels are equal; some have a better ability to absorb the energy from the sun and are more efficient at creating energy.Perhaps the greatest benefit of this method of generating electricity is the simplicity of it. A solar energy system has very few components and can be put together by almost anyone. Of course, connecting to the main grid must be completed by a properly qualified person.This book is designed to introduce you to the idea of creating your own solar energy; the following topics are covered:
- A brief summary of the history and development of solar energy
- The components which make up a viable solar energy system
- How to install and set up your new solar energy system.
- A range of tips to ensure your install is successful.
- How to assess your electricity needs, your current consumption and how to reduce your consumption. This chapter also takes a brief look at the efficiency of solar panels.
- The conclusion highlights the benefits of this impressive step forward in technology and how you can install it in your home.
Publication date: 09/07/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 30 pages
Solar Power: Solar Power 101 - Solar Power for Beginners - Alternative Energy Ideas (Alternative energy for Dummies)
Solar energy is gaining popularity. Why be interested in the subject? Why spend money and time on this? Why is there a need to receive information on the subject?Today only, get this Amazon bestseller for just $2.99. Regularly priced at $4.99. Read on your PC, Mac, smart phone, tablet or Kindle device.We are aware of the current situation of earth’s natural resources. There is the constant harnessing of non-renewable resources. Factories and industries contribute to the poisoning of rivers due to chemical waste. There is still no source of power and energy in some areas of human civilization. Technology has provided comfort to our everyday existence – but what has been the price?Our natural resources are dwindling, one after another. This is due to the rise of industries, factories, and the growth of the population. Imagine centuries from now – what energy source could be left to planet earth and its inhabitants? Only one kind of energy will never be completely used and will be available for thousands of years – solar energy.The general population must understand what solar energy is. The implications and prospects of using it and must be a matter of common knowledge. Everyone has a responsibility to learn about it. Knowledge about new sources of energies would increase social awareness, mass support, and further the development of new technologies. Imagine if everybody – including you – knew what solar energy is, beyond the energy that the sun emits. There will be more interest in finding the key that will solve problems about the environment, depleting resources, and improving the living conditions of humankind.This simple book will teach you the basics about Solar Energy to help you make future informed decisions. After downloading this book you will learn…
- Chapter 1: The Energy from the Sun
- Chapter 2: From Architecture to Transportation
- Chapter 3: Fuel Production and Electricity Production
- Chapter 4: Solar Power and Domestic Use
- Chapter 5: The Future of Solar Energy
- Chapter 6 – Solar Power Checklist
- Chapter 7 – How Ready is Your Roof?
- And Much, much more!
Publication date: 08/11/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 29 pages
Solar Power: 15 Steps To Your Own Affordable Solar Power System: (Energy Independence, Lower Bills & Off Grid Living) (Self Reliance, Solar Energy)
Getting Your FREE BonusDownload this book, read it to the end and see "BONUS: Your FREE Gift" chapter after the conclusion.Solar Power: (FREE Bonus Included)15 Steps To Your Own Affordable Solar Power SystemIf you are one those smart and genius people who are looking into making a transition to solar power, you have come to the right place. We have designed this informative book in order to help the common man in understanding the technicalities of installing your very own solar power system. The process of installing a solar power system can seem overwhelming since it is a big change and there a lot of things that require very careful consideration. There are things to be considered like coverage, size, cost, site survey, load analysis of energy consumption and what not! Well, there is no need to be intimidated by specifies anymore. This book will answer all your questions in adequate detail. We have included step by step procedures, tip and guidelines to assist you in this process. The easy to follow preparation guidelines will assist you by making the process as smooth as possible. For the ease of our readers, we have categorically divided all the information into 5 concise chapters which are listed as follows;
- Chapter 01: Things to Understand Before Getting Solar Power System
- Chapter 02: 15 Steps to Solar Panel Installation
- Chapter 03: Best Batteries for Your Solar Panels
- Chapter 04: Things to Consider About Roof
- Chapter 05: Some Additional DIY Goodies for Solar Panel
Publication date: 10/01/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 41 pages
DIY Solar Panels: Set Up Your Inexpensive Solar Power Generator And Cut Up To 50% Of Your Energy Bill: (Energy Independence, Lower Bills & Off Grid Living) (Solar Power, Solar Energy)
Getting Your FREE BonusDownload this book, read it to the end and see "BONUS: Your FREE Gift" chapter after the conclusion.DIY Solar Panels: (FREE Bonus Included)Set Up Your Inexpensive Solar Power Generator And Cut Up To 50% Of Your Energy BillA lot of studies have been done on the alternative sources of energy, and one of these are the renewable resources, solar energy being the top one. There are many things which should be kept in mind before building your own solar panel system. In this book, a complete guide is included for knowing the basics of installing an inexpensive solar system which is favorable for lowering your energy bills to 50%. The whole book is divided into three chapters, which include the details regarding the following things:
- Steps for building the inexpensive solar panel system for home
- How solar system can cut your energy bills to 50%
- The basic design elements of the solar system
Publication date: 05/11/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 30 pages