Learn the HTML5 and CSS3 you need to help you design responsive and future-proof websites that meet the demands of modern web usersAbout This Book
- Learn and explore how to harness the latest features of HTML5 in the context of responsive web design
- Learn to wield the new Flexbox layout mechanism, code responsive images, and understand how to implement SVGs in a responsive project
- Make your pages interactive by using CSS animations, transformations, and transitions
- Understand what responsive design is, and why it's vital for modern web development
- HTML5 markup is cleaner, faster, and more semantically rich than anything that has come before - learn how to use it and its latest features
- Integrate CSS3 media queries into your designs to use different styles for different media. You’ll also learn about future media queries which are evolving in CSS4.
- Responsive images allow different images to be presented in different scenarios. We’ll cover how to load different sets of images depending upon screen size or resolution and how to display different images in different contexts.
- Conquer forms! Add validation and useful interface elements like date pickers and range sliders with HTML5 markup alone.
- Implement SVGs into your responsive designs to provide resolution independent images, and learn how to adapt and animate them
- Learn how to use the latest features of CSS including custom fonts, nth-child selectors (and some CSS4 selectors), CSS custom properties (variables), and CSS calc
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 08/24/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 314 pages
Deliver an optimal user experience to all devices—including tablets, smartphones, feature phones, laptops, and large screens—by learning the basics of responsive web design. In this hands-on guide, UX designer Clarissa Peterson explains how responsive web design works, and takes you through a responsive workflow from project kickoff to site launch.Ideal for anyone involved in the process of creating websites—not just developers—this book teaches you fundamental strategies and techniques for using HTML and CSS to design websites that not only adapt to any screen size, but also use progressive enhancement to provide a better user experience based on device capabilities such as touchscreens and retina displays.
- Start with content strategy before creating a visual design
- Learn why your default design should be for the narrowest screens
- Explore the HTML elements and CSS properties essential for responsive web design
- Use media queries to display different CSS styles based on a device’s viewport width
- Handle elements such as images, typography, and navigation
- Use performance optimization techniques to make your site lighter and faster
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 06/09/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 412 pages
Push your HTML and CSS skills to the limit and build professional grade, responsive websitesAbout This Book
- Take your RWD skills to the next level with HTML5 and CSS3 best practices that will give you a solid foundation to build out from
- Harness the power of the CSS pre-processor Sass to speed up the creation of your CSS
- Each chapter dives deep in to different aspects of RWD and is designed to get you up to speed with the latest developments in professional web design
- Install and use Sass with SCSS syntax to create your CSS
- Use HTML5 tags the right way, for the right type of content
- Enhance the experience of users with assistive technology with ARIA roles
- Design with a desktop-first approach, but implement with mobile-first methodology
- Master your layouts by creating your own scalable CSS grid, or using Flexbox for total layout 'flexibility'
- Retrofit your old web sites with your new responsive design skills
- Deal with legacy browsers, and learn how to keep your designs consistent
- Implement widely used responsive patterns, such as the “drawer navigation”, the “off-canvas” and the “flexbox-based” navigation patterns
- Find the best way to serve the right type of image and how to make videos responsive
- Build custom responsive emails to ensure the message gets across regardless of the device
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 08/24/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 336 pages
Responsive design is a default these days, but we are all still figuring out just the right process and techniques to better craft responsive websites. That’s why Smashing Magazine created a new book — to gather practical techniques and strategies from people who have learned how to get things done right, in actual projects with actual real-world challenges.The Smashing Book 5: Real-Life Responsive Web Design is Smashing Magazine’s brand new book with smart front-end techniques and design patterns derived from real-life responsive projects. Part 1 features 7 chapters on responsive workflow, SVG, Flexbox, content strategy, and design patterns — just what you need to master all the tricky facets and hurdles of responsive design. Written by Daniel Mall, Ben Callahan, Eileen Webb, Sara Soueidan, Vitaly Friedman and Zoe M. Gillenwater.Please note that the corresponding Part 2 is also available with even more responsive web design tips and tricks — among others on web fonts, responsive images, email design, performance, debugging and optimizing for offline.TABLE OF CONTENTS:•A Responsive Way Forward — written by Vitaly Friedman•The Modern Responsive Designer’s Workflow — written by Dan Mall•Responsive Process — written by Ben Callahan•Responsive Design Patterns And Components — written by Vitaly Friedman•Content Choreography In RWD — written by Eileen Webb•Mastering SVG For Responsive Web Design — written by Sara Soueidan•Building Advanced Responsive Modules With Flexbox — written by Zoe M. Gillenwater
Published by: Smashing Magazine | Publication date: 06/24/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 446 pages
- What does responsive really mean?
- Semantic page structure
- Grid systems
- Responsive Images and media
- Media queries
- Responsive content
Published by: SitePoint | Publication date: 04/24/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 166 pages
Published by: Sams Publishing | Publication date: 11/17/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Responsive Web Design Toolkit: Hammering Websites into Shape focuses on the nuts and bolts of responsive web design, showing you how to better build and how to debug websites that use the responsive technique. This book guides you through the technology that programmers use to build, test, and debug responsive websites. Covering what engineers do, how localhost can help, and DIY-testing, this book shows technically-minded designers how to create digital objects that lead to shorter development times, quicker testing cycles, and more insight into users and their mobile devices, ultimately leading to better products.
Published by: Chapman and Hall/CRC | Publication date: 09/16/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 232 pages
Responsive web design is all about creating flexible websites that work equally well on phones, tablets, computers, and other devices. The key word here is “flexible”.The CSS flexible box model, known as flexbox, is a new layout tool that can help you build flexible websites painlessly. It is powerful, easy to learn, and easy to use.About This BookFlexbox for Responsive Web Design is a practical guide that explains the principles, benefits, and challenges of responsive web design with flexbox. It has four parts:
- A clear, compact tutorial covering the language of flexbox – core concepts, terminology, and syntax.
- Effective strategies for dealing with older browsers that don’t support flexbox.
- A user-friendly introduction to responsive web design – theory and practice in “aw shucks” language.
- Step-by-step instruction for building responsive web pages with flexbox.
Publication date: 07/17/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 251 pages
This book will lead you, step by step and with illustrative screenshots, through a real example. Are you writing two websites – one for mobile and one for larger displays? Or perhaps you’ve heard of Responsive Design but are unsure how to bring HTML5, CSS3, or responsive design all together. If so, this book provides everything you need to take your web pages to the next level – before all your competitors do!
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 04/10/2012Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 326 pages
In this practical guide, CSS expert Lea Verou provides 47 undocumented techniques and tips to help intermediate-to advanced CSS developers devise elegant solutions to a wide range of everyday web design problems.Rather than focus on design, CSS Secrets shows you how to solve problems with code. You'll learn how to apply Lea's analytical approach to practically every CSS problem you face to attain DRY, maintainable, flexible, lightweight, and standards-compliant results.Inspired by her popular talks at over 60 international web development conferences, Lea Verou provides a wealth of information for topics including:
- Backgrounds and Borders
- Visual Effects
- User Experience
- Structure and Layout
- Transitions and Animations
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 06/04/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 390 pages