Your one-stop guide to know digital extortion and it's prevention.Key Features
Malware from Fun to Profit Malware Analysis Fundamentals Ransomware Distribution Ransomware Techniques for Hijacking the System Ransomware Economics Case Study of Famous Ransomware Other Forms of Digital Extortion Ransomware Detection and Prevention Incident Response The Future of Ransomware
- A complete guide to how ransomware works
- Build a security mechanism to prevent digital extortion.
- A practical approach to knowing about, and responding to, ransomware.
- Understand malware types and malware techniques with examples
- Obtain a quick malware analysis
- Understand ransomware techniques, their distribution, and their payment mechanism
- Case studies of famous ransomware attacks
- Discover detection technologies for complex malware and ransomware
- Configure security software to protect against ransomware
- Handle ransomware infections
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 03/23/2018Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 266 pages
The biggest online threat to businesses and consumers today is ransomware, a category of malware that can encrypt your computer files until you pay a ransom to unlock them. With this practical book, you’ll learn how easily ransomware infects your system and what steps you can take to stop the attack before it sets foot in the network.Security experts Allan Liska and Timothy Gallo explain how the success of these attacks has spawned not only several variants of ransomware, but also a litany of ever-changing ways they’re delivered to targets. You’ll learn pragmatic methods for responding quickly to a ransomware attack, as well as how to protect yourself from becoming infected in the first place.
- Learn how ransomware enters your system and encrypts your files
- Understand why ransomware use has grown, especially in recent years
- Examine the organizations behind ransomware and the victims they target
- Learn how wannabe hackers use Ransomware as a Service (RaaS) to launch campaigns
- Understand how ransom is paid—and the pros and cons of paying
- Use methods to protect your organization’s workstations and servers
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 11/21/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 190 pages
Before Scarlett helped Mike, Parker, and Alexis solve the cases in Calculated Deception and Calculated Contagion, she was a brand-new profiler at the FBI’s Chicago field office. When a high-profile charity is targeted by a cybercriminal, Scarlett is charged with leading a team of special agents to find the individual hiding behind the malicious code.Mike Moretti is a FBI special agent accustomed to difficult cases. However, to find out who is bleeding the charity of funds, he’ll need to team up with the new profiler...even after he mistakes her for the office intern. As the cyberattacks become increasingly personal, Scarlett and her team must find the criminal hiding where the FBI least expects them.Calculated Extortion is a Calculated Series prequel novella, which takes place before Calculated Deception.
Published by: Vertical Line Publishing, LLC | Publication date: 11/28/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 103 pages
* THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER ** Future-proof yourself and your business by reading this book * Technological advances have benefited our world in immeasurable ways, but there is an ominous flipside. Criminals are often the earliest, and most innovative, adopters of technology and modern times have led to modern crimes. Today's criminals are stealing identities, draining online bank-accounts and wiping out computer servers. It's disturbingly easy to activate baby cam monitors to spy on families, pacemakers can be hacked to deliver a lethal jolt, and thieves are analyzing your social media in order to determine the best time for a home invasion.Meanwhile, 3D printers produce AK-47s, terrorists can download the recipe for the Ebola virus, and drug cartels are building drones. This is just the beginning of the tsunami of technological threats coming our way. In Future Crimes, Marc Goodman rips open his database of hundreds of real cases to give us front-row access to these impending perils. Reading like a sci-fi thriller, but based in startling fact, Goodman raises tough questions about the expanding role of technology in our lives. Future Crimes is a call to action for better security measures worldwide, but most importantly, will empower readers to protect themselves against these looming technological threats - before it's too late.
Published by: Transworld Digital | Publication date: 02/24/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 466 pages
This book examines Ransomware and CryptoVirus - How it works, Why normal antivirus software fails to stop them and what you can do about it.It covers:•A time line of CryptoVirus malware•The KillChain of a CryptoVirus attack and the key characteristics of the malware(functional analysis)•Detailed static analysis of an actual attack with fully annotated and decoded Trojan downloaders•A static analysis of a typical CryptoVirus malware – the encrypting exe•A review of why traditional AV failed - including empirical analysis of signature production times compared with release times of new variants•A detailed description and worked examples of Ghost-writing to evade signature detection, heuristic detection bypass and signatures detection•Strategies to be used to defend against them – include incident process, detection scripts, IoCs, Access-protection rules, MS-office settings and resilient build configurations•A brief overview of commercial NextGen protection systems •What’s new in ransomwareIt is a short book of 100 pages to keep the cost down to a couple of (bucks$) quid(£). The money goes to charity.It is a short book because it has a pinpoint focuses on ransomware and CryptoVirus. Being small and focused, It is not intended to replace the comprehensive Malware Bibles (although I do reference them) which are used to train malware analysts.Most CryptoVirus infections are delivered by macro Trojan downloaders. So any analysis requires some examination of macros and scripts. Similarly, like any book on malware, there are some excerpts of assembler code. These are all exceptionally heavily annotated and explained. In fact, this technical content was extensively tested in several workshops for junior first responders and was very well received. This book was an attempt at spreading the knowledge to a wider audience.So although the book has been designed for a wide audience within IT - It does require a basic knowledge (or at least a willingness to learn) very basic elements of scripting, and server administration. We all have our specialties and if these are not yours - this book (or malware analysis in general) is probably not for you.[Third Edition - 30/04/2017 ]
Publication date: 02/26/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 103 pages
In today’s digital age, hacking into data, encrypting it, and making it inaccessible isbecoming more and more common place. Irrespective of the scale of your business, suchan attack can prove very costly.If you want to save yourself from such cyber extortion, it is important to gain insights intovarious attacks and their impact on your business.This book gives you a brief overview of the process and will also teach you to reduce oreliminate such attacks. It will not only teach you about cyber attacks, but will also equip you to reduce them.
Publication date: 02/18/2018Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 33 pages
CISSP Study Guide - fully updated for the 2015 CISSP Body of Knowledge CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 7th Edition has been completely updated for the latest 2015 CISSP Body of Knowledge. This bestselling Sybex study guide covers 100% of all exam objectives. You'll prepare for the exam smarter and faster with Sybex thanks to expert content, real-world examples, advice on passing each section of the exam, access to the Sybex online interactive learning environment, and much more. Reinforce what you've learned with key topic exam essentials and chapter review questions. Along with the book, you also get access to Sybex's superior online interactive learning environment that includes:
- Four unique 250 question practice exams to help you identify where you need to study more. Get more than 90 percent of the answers correct, and you're ready to take the certification exam.
- More than 650 Electronic Flashcards to reinforce your learning and give you last-minute test prep before the exam
- A searchable glossary in PDF to give you instant access to the key terms you need to know for the exam
- Security and Risk Management
- Asset Security
- Security Engineering
- Communication and Network Security
- Identity and Access Management
- Security Assessment and Testing
- Security Operations
- Software Development Security
Published by: Sybex | Publication date: 09/11/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1080 pages
Amazing story about Jastin and his Super Cybersecurity Grandma working through the problems of being online and staying safe. In this episode, they tackle the ever-present issues of phishing and ransomware that plague all of us who are in the digital arena.BUILDING CYBER-READY WORKERS FROM A YOUNG AGE TO MEET NATIONAL WORKFORCE DEMANDS OF THE FUTURENovember 2016This book is dedicated to supporting the workforce needs for the 21st century in the areas of cybersecurity. Some surveys estimate that there are over 200,000 cybersecurity jobs left unfilled in 2015 and the demand will grow exponentially over the next 20 years. This book and subsequent episodes will educate and inspire a new generation of potential cyber technologists, workers and managers who will have had the opportunity to experience the cybersecurity territory from early childhood thus making “cyber speak” and careers in this area much less foreign. The book targets children between the ages of 8 and 12 and to adults who like to read with them. Everyone can benefit from reading these episodes in order to become safer online.McGarry (2013) reported that General Keith Alexander, former Director, NSA, described cybersecurity work as a “tremendous opportunity” for young people…” He said - “This generation is coming up cyber savvy,” after explaining how his almost 2-year-old granddaughter knows how to use an iPad to watch movies on Netflix. “We can train them. We can educate them.”. Source: McGarry, B. (Oct. 14, 2013). NSA Chief: What Cyberwarrior Shortage? NEXT EPISODE - CYBERBULLYING
Published by: Jastinenterprises, LLC | Publication date: 08/23/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 30 pages
La più grande minaccia online per le aziende e i consumatori oggi è il ransomware, una categoria di malware che consiste nel crittografare i file di intere reti aziendali ma anche di singoli computer finché non si paga un riscatto per sbloccarli. Con questo libro pratico scoprirete quanto facilmente il ransomware possa infettare il vostro sistema e quali contromisure potete prendere per fermare l’attacco. Gli esperti di sicurezza Allan Liska e Timothy Gallo spiegano come il successo di questi attacchi abbia generato non solo diverse varianti di ransomware, ma anche una serie di modalità in continuo cambiamento con le quali gli obiettivi vengono colpiti. Imparerete i metodi pratici per rispondere rapidamente a un attacco di ransomware e come proteggere il vostro sistema prima che venga infettato.
Published by: Tecniche Nuove | Publication date: 07/12/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 256 pages
Why this book is for you. Computer Ransomware has been in the news, WannaCry, Petya and others. This is a Malware that easily infects your computer, then encrypts your files to make them unusable, until you pay a ransom. The files cannot be unencrypted without the key, which you must pay for. Computer Security advisors acknowledge these types of attacks are here to stay since it is exceptionally lucrative to the cyber thieves. So it’s not if, but when, this will happen to you or someone you know.I know the defenses from a Ransomware attack, and still my computer was infected, and the files were rendered useless. What did I do? I used the exact techniques in this book and had my computer running within half an hour, without paying the ransom. What would you do tomorrow morning if your computer displayed the message “All your files are encrypted, send $300 to get them back, don’t bother trying to decrypt them, you can’t”?What’s in this book? If the files on your computer are important to you then you should be concerned about a Ransomware or Malware attack. If this is your business computer then your company could quickly be out of business. This book provides not only the techniques for the best defense but also shows the exact steps to getting your Windows 10 computer running again - without paying the ransom. I have been through this already, let me show you how.What you’ll learn from this book What is RansomWare?Who locked up my computer?How did my computer get infected?5 Places That Can Lure You Into an InfectionTools to Detect an Encryption in ProgressHow do I protect myself from a Ransomware attack?How to Keep Your Defenses UpIs my Windows PC protected from Wannacry?Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free?The Downside of Keeping Your System Up to DateHave a Plan B to Recover from RansomwareHow to Protect Your Personal FilesMy Computer is Held Hostage How Does Plan B Fix It?If you have Amazon Prime you can start now for free, so get reading you have nothing to lose.
Publication date: 12/19/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 64 pages