The biggest online threat to businesses and consumers today is ransomware, a category of malware that can encrypt your computer files until you pay a ransom to unlock them. With this practical book, you’ll learn how easily ransomware infects your system and what steps you can take to stop the attack before it sets foot in the network.Security experts Allan Liska and Timothy Gallo explain how the success of these attacks has spawned not only several variants of ransomware, but also a litany of ever-changing ways they’re delivered to targets. You’ll learn pragmatic methods for responding quickly to a ransomware attack, as well as how to protect yourself from becoming infected in the first place.
- Learn how ransomware enters your system and encrypts your files
- Understand why ransomware use has grown, especially in recent years
- Examine the organizations behind ransomware and the victims they target
- Learn how wannabe hackers use Ransomware as a Service (RaaS) to launch campaigns
- Understand how ransom is paid—and the pros and cons of paying
- Use methods to protect your organization’s workstations and servers
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 11/21/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 190 pages
* THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER ** Future-proof yourself and your business by reading this book * Technological advances have benefited our world in immeasurable ways, but there is an ominous flipside. Criminals are often the earliest, and most innovative, adopters of technology and modern times have led to modern crimes. Today's criminals are stealing identities, draining online bank-accounts and wiping out computer servers. It's disturbingly easy to activate baby cam monitors to spy on families, pacemakers can be hacked to deliver a lethal jolt, and thieves are analyzing your social media in order to determine the best time for a home invasion.Meanwhile, 3D printers produce AK-47s, terrorists can download the recipe for the Ebola virus, and drug cartels are building drones. This is just the beginning of the tsunami of technological threats coming our way. In Future Crimes, Marc Goodman rips open his database of hundreds of real cases to give us front-row access to these impending perils. Reading like a sci-fi thriller, but based in startling fact, Goodman raises tough questions about the expanding role of technology in our lives. Future Crimes is a call to action for better security measures worldwide, but most importantly, will empower readers to protect themselves against these looming technological threats - before it's too late.
Published by: Transworld Digital | Publication date: 02/24/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 466 pages
This book examines Ransomware and CryptoVirus - How it works, Why normal antivirus software fails to stop them and what you can do about it.It covers:•A time line of CryptoVirus malware•The KillChain of a CryptoVirus attack and the key characteristics of the malware(functional analysis)•Detailed static analysis of an actual attack with fully annotated and decoded Trojan downloaders•A static analysis of a typical CryptoVirus malware – the encrypting exe•A review of why traditional AV failed - including empirical analysis of signature production times compared with release times of new variants•A detailed description and worked examples of Ghost-writing to evade signature detection, heuristic detection bypass and signatures detection•Strategies to be used to defend against them – include incident process, detection scripts, IoCs, Access-protection rules, MS-office settings and resilient build configurations•A brief overview of commercial NextGen protection systems •What’s new in ransomwareIt is a short book of 100 pages to keep the cost down to a couple of (bucks$) quid(£). The money goes to charity.It is a short book because it has a pinpoint focuses on ransomware and CryptoVirus. Being small and focused, It is not intended to replace the comprehensive Malware Bibles (although I do reference them) which are used to train malware analysts.Most CryptoVirus infections are delivered by macro Trojan downloaders. So any analysis requires some examination of macros and scripts. Similarly, like any book on malware, there are some excerpts of assembler code. These are all exceptionally heavily annotated and explained. In fact, this technical content was extensively tested in several workshops for junior first responders and was very well received. This book was an attempt at spreading the knowledge to a wider audience.So although the book has been designed for a wide audience within IT - It does require a basic knowledge (or at least a willingness to learn) very basic elements of scripting, and server administration. We all have our specialties and if these are not yours - this book (or malware analysis in general) is probably not for you.[Third Edition - 30/04/2017 ]
Publication date: 02/26/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 103 pages
Understand, prevent, and remediate ransomware attacksKey Features
- Complete guide to how ransomware works
- Build a security mechanism to prevent digital extortion.
- A practical approach to knowing about, and responding to, ransomware.
- Understand malware types and malware techniques with examples
- Obtain a quick malware analysis
- Understand ransomware techniques, their distribution, and their payment mechanism
- Case studies of famous ransomware attacks
- Discover detection technologies for complex malware and ransomware
- Configure security software to protect against ransomware
- Handle ransomware infections
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 04/10/2018Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 103 pages
“Dylan Kane leaves James Bond in his dust!”USA TODAY and BARNES & NOBLE #1 BESTSELLING AUTHOR • “A MASTER STORYTELLER” • OVER 800,000 BOOKS SOLD • OVER 3,000 FIVE STAR REVIEWSA CRIPPLING CYBERATTACK.A HEART-WRENCHING LOSS.WILL ONE MAN’S THIRST FOR REVENGE LEAD TO WAR?Two years ago, cyber security specialist Clayton Hummel unknowingly betrayed his country for love, and today, billionaire Franklin Temple pays the price. Blinded by grief and rage, and dissatisfied with his government’s response, Temple uses his considerable wealth to take matters into his own hands, and bring justice to those responsible for the greatest cyberattack in history.And his thirst for revenge may just lead us to war.Join CIA Special Agent Dylan Kane and his team, as they race a grieving father to find those responsible for a ransomware attack that crippled millions of computers around the world, including those in one town, in one hospital, where one young, innocent patient died as a result.From USA Today bestselling author J. Robert Kennedy comes another torn from the headlines thriller, Retribution, where he once again takes current events and twists them to his own end, delivering a taut action-packed page-turner certain to leave you wondering who to cheer for. Packed with heartache and pain, hope and romance, and enough thrilling action and laughter to satisfy any fan of the genre, Retribution delivers like only Kennedy can.Reserve your copy now, and be among the first to read what might be tomorrow’s headlines!WHAT READERS ARE SAYING ABOUT THE DYLAN KANE SERIES“The action sequences are particularly well-written and exciting, without being overblown.”“I love how the author explains what's needed but doesn't just ramble on in narrative.”“The events in this adventure are so real and so heart pounding you can't put it down. Mr. Kennedy is by far my favorite writer.”“Don’t mess with Kane, he takes no prisoners, especially when you target his friends.”“This is one of the best stories I have ever read. The action and plot is believable and exciting and of course the climax is nail biting stuff. This author sure knows his stuff - if not, he does a great job of convincing his reader that he does!”“Fast paced international spy thriller with good old American values among its main characters. I'd like to think we really do have agents like Kane.”
Publication date: 08/28/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 326 pages
Before Scarlett helped Mike, Parker, and Alexis solve the cases in Calculated Deception and Calculated Contagion, she was a brand-new profiler at the FBI’s Chicago field office. When a high-profile charity is targeted by a cybercriminal, Scarlett is charged with leading a team of special agents to find the individual hiding behind the malicious code.Mike Moretti is a FBI special agent accustomed to difficult cases. However, to find out who is bleeding the charity of funds, he’ll need to team up with the new profiler...even after he mistakes her for the office intern. As the cyberattacks become increasingly personal, Scarlett and her team must find the criminal hiding where the FBI least expects them.Calculated Extortion is a Calculated Series prequel novella, which takes place before Calculated Deception.
Published by: Vertical Line Publishing, LLC | Publication date: 11/28/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 103 pages
La più grande minaccia online per le aziende e i consumatori oggi è il ransomware, una categoria di malware che consiste nel crittografare i file di intere reti aziendali ma anche di singoli computer finché non si paga un riscatto per sbloccarli. Con questo libro pratico scoprirete quanto facilmente il ransomware possa infettare il vostro sistema e quali contromisure potete prendere per fermare l’attacco. Gli esperti di sicurezza Allan Liska e Timothy Gallo spiegano come il successo di questi attacchi abbia generato non solo diverse varianti di ransomware, ma anche una serie di modalità in continuo cambiamento con le quali gli obiettivi vengono colpiti. Imparerete i metodi pratici per rispondere rapidamente a un attacco di ransomware e come proteggere il vostro sistema prima che venga infettato.
Published by: Tecniche Nuove | Publication date: 07/12/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 256 pages
Learn the art of preventing digital extortion and securing confidential dataAbout This Book
- Get acquainted with multiple cyber extortion attacks and techniques to mitigate them
- Learn how DDOS, Crypto Virus, and other cyber extortion techniques can infect your computers, smartphones, servers, and cloud
- A concise, fast-paced guide that develops your skills in protecting confidential data by leveraging widely used tools
- Delve into the various types, stages, and economics of digital extortion
- Understand the science behind different attacks
- Understand the gravity of and mechanics behind ransomware and prevent and mitigate data breaches and financial losses
- Use effective tools to defend against ransomware
- Analyze attacks, the money flow, and cyber insurance processes
- Learn the art of preventing digital extortion and securing confidential data
- Get an idea of the future of extortion tactics and how technological advances will affect their development
Published by: Packt Publishing | Publication date: 05/26/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 360 pages
What will you do if you are infected by ransomware like WannaCry, or Petya? What if you come in one morning, only to find every one of your computers locked and encrypted, demanding a ransom before you can use them, like the infamous WannaCry and Petya attacks.Ransomware is no longer a what if? but a when.This book contains info on what ransomware is, where it and similar infections come from, and the best methods available to you to prevent ransomware infections, and to restore operations should an infection occur.Chapter titles:What is Ransomware?Where Does Ransomware Come From?How Can I Prevent Ransomware?The Last Line of Defence Again RansomwareBacking Up Against Ransomware
Published by: Kogo Ltd | Publication date: 07/24/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 24 pages
How to protect yourself from WannaCry ransomware : what you need to know to keep yourself as safe as possible
The attack is due to a kind of ransomware called Wanna Decryptor, also known as WannaCrypt, WanaCrypt0r, and WannaCry.When a system has been infected with WannaCrypt, the malware encrypts everything it can.How to protect yourself from WannaCry ransomware ...What you need to know to keep yourself as safe as possible ...
Publication date: 05/17/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 20 pages