This is the eBook of the printed book and may not include any media, website access codes, or print supplements that may come packaged with the bound book. For first year composition courses. Tried-and-true advice at every stage in the writing process The Prentice Hall Reference Guide, 10th Edition is a tabbed, spiral-bound handbook written to help all writers quickly find the information they need, without necessarily knowing the proper terminology. A series of “portals” guide learners to the answers to writing, research, and grammar-related questions. The compact, four-color design makes this book easy to use. The result of many years of field testing, this handbook offers guidance at every stage of the writing process from instructors who have over 30 years of combined experience, all while using language students will understand. The 10th Edition has been extensively revised to provide the most updated and easiest-to-use writing instruction. It now features more coverage of critical thinking and reading, and examples of interactions with texts, student writing, and explanatory graphics. Prentice Hall Reference Guide, 10th Edition is also available via Revel™, an interactive learning environment that enables students to read, practice, and study in one continuous experience. Learn more.
Published by: Pearson | Publication date: 04/07/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 576 pages
Big Data Fundamentals: Concepts, Drivers & Techniques (The Prentice Hall Service Technology Series from Thomas Erl)
“This text should be required reading for everyone in contemporary business.” --Peter Woodhull, CEO, Modus21 “The one book that clearly describes and links Big Data concepts to business utility.” --Dr. Christopher Starr, PhD “Simply, this is the best Big Data book on the market!” --Sam Rostam, Cascadian IT Group “...one of the most contemporary approaches I’ve seen to Big Data fundamentals...” --Joshua M. Davis, PhD The Definitive Plain-English Guide to Big Data for Business and Technology Professionals Big Data Fundamentals provides a pragmatic, no-nonsense introduction to Big Data. Best-selling IT author Thomas Erl and his team clearly explain key Big Data concepts, theory and terminology, as well as fundamental technologies and techniques. All coverage is supported with case study examples and numerous simple diagrams. The authors begin by explaining how Big Data can propel an organization forward by solving a spectrum of previously intractable business problems. Next, they demystify key analysis techniques and technologies and show how a Big Data solution environment can be built and integrated to offer competitive advantages.
- Discovering Big Data’s fundamental concepts and what makes it different from previous forms of data analysis and data science
- Understanding the business motivations and drivers behind Big Data adoption, from operational improvements through innovation
- Planning strategic, business-driven Big Data initiatives
- Addressing considerations such as data management, governance, and security
- Recognizing the 5 “V” characteristics of datasets in Big Data environments: volume, velocity, variety, veracity, and value
- Clarifying Big Data’s relationships with OLTP, OLAP, ETL, data warehouses, and data marts
- Working with Big Data in structured, unstructured, semi-structured, and metadata formats
- Increasing value by integrating Big Data resources with corporate performance monitoring
- Understanding how Big Data leverages distributed and parallel processing
- Using NoSQL and other technologies to meet Big Data’s distinct data processing requirements
- Leveraging statistical approaches of quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Applying computational analysis methods, including machine learning
Published by: Prentice Hall | Publication date: 12/29/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 241 pages
Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering (Prentice Hall International Series in the Physical and Chemical Engineering Sciences)
The Definitive, Fully Updated Guide to Solving Real-World Chemical Reaction Engineering Problems For decades, H. Scott Fogler’s Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering has been the world’s dominant text for courses in chemical reaction engineering. Now, Fogler has created a new, completely updated fifth edition of his internationally respected book. The result is a refined book that contains new examples and problems, as well as an updated companion Web site. More than ever, Fogler has successfully integrated text, visuals, and computer simulations to help both undergraduate and graduate students master all of the field’s fundamentals. As always, he links theory to practice through many relevant examples, ranging from standard isothermal and non-isothermal reactor design to applications, such as solar energy, blood clotting, and drug delivery, and computer chip manufacturing. To promote the transfer of key skills to real-life settings, Fogler presents the following three styles of problems:
Straightforward problems that reinforce the principles of chemical reaction engineering Living Example Problems (LEPs) that allow students to rapidly explore the issues and look for optimal solutions Open-ended problems that encourage students to practice creative problem-solving skills About the Web Site The companion Web site offers extensive enrichment opportunities and additional content, including
- Complete PowerPoint slides for lecture notes for chemical reaction engineering classes.
- Links to additional software, including POLYMATH™, Matlab™, Wolfram Mathematica™, AspenTech™, and COMSOL™.
- Interactive learning resources linked to each chapter, including Learning Objectives, Summary Notes, Web Modules, Interactive Computer Games, Solved Problems, FAQs, additional homework problems, and links to Learncheme.
- Living Example Problems that provide more than eighty interactive simulations, allowing students to explore the examples and ask “what-if” questions. The LEPs are unique to this book.
- Professional Reference Shelf, which includes advanced content on reactors, weighted least squares, experimental planning, laboratory reactors, pharmacokinetics, wire gauze reactors, trickle bed reactors, fluidized bed reactors, CVD boat reactors, detailed explanations of key derivations, and more.
- Problem-solving strategies and insights on creative and critical thinking.
Published by: Prentice Hall | Publication date: 12/18/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 992 pages
For courses in first-year Composition and Rhetoric. A practical, step-by-step approach with writer’s purpose at the core With new forms of delivery and expression changing the expectations of writers and audiences, the definition of “writing” continues to evolve – and so must today’s writers. The Prentice Hall Guide for College Writers, Eleventh Edition helps students navigate this territory by asking them to consider purpose, audience, and genre every time they write. Each project chapter guides students with a series of assignments, aligned with WPA Recommended Outcomes for First-year Writing. Also available with MyWritingLab™ This title is also available with MyWritingLab – an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program designed to work with this text to engage students and improve results. Within its structured environment, students practice what they learn, test their understanding, and pursue a personalized study plan that helps them better absorb course material and understand difficult concepts. In addition to the full eText, activities directly from the text are available within MyWritingLab. These include written assignments, readings from the text, review exercises, and more. Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyWritingLab does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyWritingLab, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyWritingLab, search for: 0134216571 / 9780134216577 Prentice Hall Guide for College Writers, The , Plus MyWritingLab -- Access Card Package consists of:
- 0133954706 / 9780133954708 MyWritingLab with Pearson eText -- Valuepack Access Card
- 0134121953 / 9780134121956 Prentice Hall Guide for College Writers, The
Published by: Pearson | Publication date: 01/15/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 608 pages
SOA with Java: Realizing Service-Orientation with Java Technologies (The Prentice Hall Service Technology Series from Thomas Erl)
“An outstanding depth-and-breadth resource for IT architects and Java professionals to understand and apply the marriage of SOA and modern Java.”--Antonio Bruno, Enterprise Architecture and Strategy, digitalStrom “A great self-contained book on SOA using flexible Java implementations....”--Roger Stoffers, Hewlett Packard “Provides clarity on abstract concepts and is filled with concrete examples of implementing SOA principles in Java environments.”--Sanjay Singh, Certified SOA Architect “...provides a holistic, comprehensive view on leveraging SOA principles and architecture for building and deploying performant Java services.”--Suzanne D’Souza, KBACE Technologies “Thomas Erl’s series of books on services technology have shaped, influenced, and strengthened a whole community of enterprise and solution architects’ thinking and solution development, and the much awaited SOA with Java book is an excellent addition to the series. It is a must-read.”--Lalatendu Rath, Wipro Technologies The Definitive Guide to Building Service-Oriented Solutions with Lightweight and Mainstream Java Technologies Java has evolved into an exceptional platform for building Web-based enterprise services. In SOA with Java, Thomas Erl and several world-class experts guide you in mastering the principles, best practices, and Java technologies you need to design and deliver high-value services and service-oriented solutions. You’ll learn how to implement SOA with lightweight frameworks, mainstream Java services technologies, and contemporary specifications and standards. To demonstrate real-world examples, the authors present multiple case study scenarios. They further demystify complex concepts with a plain-English writing style. This book will be valuable to all developers, analysts, architects, and other IT professionals who want to design and implement Web-based service-oriented architectures and enterprise solutions with Java technologies. Topic Areas
- Applying modern service-orientation principles to modern Java technology platforms
- Leveraging Java infrastructure extensions relevant to service-oriented solutions
- Exploring key concepts associated with SOA and service-orientation within the context of Java
- Reviewing relevant Java platforms, technologies, and APIs
- Understanding the standards and conventions that REST and SOAP services are built upon in relation to Java implementations
- Building Java Web-based services with JAX-WS and JAX-RS
- Applying the eight key principles of service-orientation design using Java tools and technologies
- Creating Java utility services: architectural, design, and implementation issues
- Constructing effective entity services: service contracts, messages, data access, and processing
- Constructing task services, including detailed guidance on service composition
- Using ESBs to support infrastructure requirements in complex services ecosystems
Published by: Prentice Hall | Publication date: 06/17/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 592 pages
Chemical Process Safety: Fundamentals with Applications (Prentice Hall International Series in the Physical and Chemical Engineering Sciences)
The Leading Guide To Process Safety Now Extensively Updated For Today’s Processes And Systems As chemical processes have grown more complex, so have the safety systems required to prevent accidents. Chemical Process Safety, Third Edition, offers students and practitioners a more fundamental understanding of safety and the application required to safely design and manage today’s sophisticated processes. The third edition continues the definitive standard of the previous editions. The content has been extensively updated to today’s techniques and procedures, and two new chapters have been added. A new chapter on chemical reactivity provides the information necessary to identify, characterize, control, and manage reactive chemical hazards. A new chapter on safety procedures and designs includes new content on safely management, and specific procedures including hot work permits, lock-tag-try, and vessel entry. Subjects Include
- Inherently safer design
- Toxicology and industrial hygiene
- Toxic release and dispersion models
- Fires and explosions, and how to prevent them
- Reliefs and relief sizing
- Hazard identification
- Risk assessment
- Safe designs and procedures
- Case histories
Published by: Prentice Hall | Publication date: 05/20/2011Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 720 pages
Practical Software Architecture Solutions from the Legendary Robert C. Martin (“Uncle Bob”) By applying universal rules of software architecture, you can dramatically improve developer productivity throughout the life of any software system. Now, building upon the success of his best-selling books Clean Code and The Clean Coder, legendary software craftsman Robert C. Martin (“Uncle Bob”) reveals those rules and helps you apply them. Martin’s Clean Architecture doesn’t merely present options. Drawing on over a half-century of experience in software environments of every imaginable type, Martin tells you what choices to make and why they are critical to your success. As you’ve come to expect from Uncle Bob, this book is packed with direct, no-nonsense solutions for the real challenges you’ll face—the ones that will make or break your projects.
- Learn what software architects need to achieve—and core disciplines and practices for achieving it
- Master essential software design principles for addressing function, component separation, and data management
- See how programming paradigms impose discipline by restricting what developers can do
- Understand what’s critically important and what’s merely a “detail”
- Implement optimal, high-level structures for web, database, thick-client, console, and embedded applications
- Define appropriate boundaries and layers, and organize components and services
- See why designs and architectures go wrong, and how to prevent (or fix) these failures
Published by: Prentice Hall | Publication date: 09/12/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 432 pages
Effective creative work is not a nice-to-have, it's a necessity - it’s the only way you’ll stand out in a fiercely competitive marketplace. Whether you're in digital, direct or advertising, the CEO of an agency or just starting out, How to do better creative work has been written for you. In fact, you'll see that everyone plays a crucial role in producing creative work that works: What it means to be creative, How to build a creative culture, How virtually all great work is underpinned by a simple problem/solution dynamic, How to use that dynamic to create your big marketing ideas, How to brief a creative team, How to use 'relevant abruption' to produce big creative ideas, How to simultaneously build a brand and get response, How to sell your work, How to run a creative department. All this is illustrated by some of the best advertising, direct and digital work ever produced, plus 12 case studies featuring ideas that have not only sold millions of pounds worth of products, but also won dozens of the world's most coveted awards. "Steve writes like he talks, with great intelligence, wisdom and common sense. He's one of the few people capable of looking at a notoriously self-obsessed industry and saying, "The Emperor has no clothes." And he's one of an even smaller number who can look at its problems and say, "here's how you fix it." Creative Work is as challenging as it is engaging. When I reached the end I felt like I wanted to continue the conversation, which is probably the highest compliment you can offer a book." - Jon Steel, author of Truth, Lies & Advertising and Perfect Pitch."This is genuinely essential reading for anyone who wants to demystify the advertising creative process – and vastly more entertaining than your average business book. Harrison’s simple, commonsense approach makes you wonder why so many ad campaigns fail so spectacularly. Buy it, read it and learn from it!” - Larissa Vince, Campaign magazine. "This is a smart, straightforward and very special book. It affirmed so much I knew already, but my eyes were opened afresh to what is genuinely important about the work that we do. I came away with ten or twelve things I wanted to share with the rest of the team at glue and it also fortunately gave me some confidence that we’re getting a lot of this right already." - Mark Cridge, CEO, glue London. "Steve is one of the dying breed of creative directors that clients crave. He tells it like it is and delivers. How to do better creative work is a refreshingly honest must-read for any client, suit or creative who want to cut through the bullshit and produce great creative work that does the job. Harrison has the right to say what he likes about the ad industry - and he does!" - Charlie Smith, Head of Brand Marketing, Vodafone UK. "This book isn't just about how clients can help get the best work from their agency. I loved the insight into the thinking that goes on before the creative idea is had and realise it applies to every business that takes a creative approach to problem solving." - Paul Ferraiolo, President, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, North America.“If, one day, my son tells me that he wants to be part of this business, I will make sure that he reads Steve´s book and, if possible, find a way for him to spend a couple of hours with Steve himself” - Pablo Alzugary, President, Shackleton Madrid.
Published by: Pearson Business | Publication date: 04/08/2010Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 168 pages
The timeless and practical advice in The Magic of Thinking Big clearly demonstrates how you can:
- Sell more
- Manage better
- Lead fearlessly
- Earn more
- Enjoy a happier, more fulfilling life
- With applicable and easy-to-implement insights, you’ll discover:
- Why believing you can succeed is essential
- How to quit making excuses
- The means to overcoming fear and finding confidence
- How to develop and use creative thinking and dreaming
- Why making (and getting) the most of your attitudes is critical
- How to think right towards others
- The best ways to make “action” a habit
- How to find victory in defeat
- Goals for growth, and
- How to think like a leader
Published by: Prentice Hall Press | Publication date: 12/02/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 316 pages
Cloud Computing: Concepts, Technology & Architecture (The Prentice Hall Service Technology Series from Thomas Erl)
Clouds are distributed technology platforms that leverage sophisticated technology innovations to provide highly scalable and resilient environments that can be remotely utilized by organizations in a multitude of powerful ways. To successfully build upon, integrate with, or even create a cloud environment requires an understanding of its common inner mechanics, architectural layers, and models, as well as an understanding of the business and economic factors that result from the adoption and real-world use of cloud-based services. In Cloud Computing: Concepts, Technology & Architecture, Thomas Erl, one of the world’s top-selling IT authors, teams up with cloud computing experts and researchers to break down proven and mature cloud computing technologies and practices into a series of well-defined concepts, models, technology mechanisms, and technology architectures, all from an industry-centric and vendor-neutral point of view. In doing so, the book establishes concrete, academic coverage with a focus on structure, clarity, and well-defined building blocks for mainstream cloud computing platforms and solutions. Subsequent to technology-centric coverage, the book proceeds to establish business-centric models and metrics that allow for the financial assessment of cloud-based IT resources and their comparison to those hosted on traditional IT enterprise premises. Also provided are templates and formulas for calculating SLA-related quality-of-service values and numerous explorations of the SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS delivery models. With more than 260 figures, 29 architectural models, and 20 mechanisms, this indispensable guide provides a comprehensive education of cloud computing essentials that will never leave your side.
Published by: Prentice Hall | Publication date: 05/02/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 533 pages