Fall, current day, Atlantic Ocean. Another hurricane tears through the Bahamas, headed for Florida. Among the wreckage: a U.S. Coast Guard rescue boat, one survivor (Ret Cooper), and a spherical object of curious design (the Oracle).Ret Cooper is a simple young man with mysterious origins, unique physical features, and no memory of his past. His new family and friends discover he is truly extraordinary, with supernatural powers and strange scars on the palms of his hands. But what is his destiny?The Oracle is the key to Earth's unity and full potential, too perfect to be man-made. Legend claims it can unleash limitless power when filled with Mother Nature's six, pure, original elements. But where are these elements? And which of our planet’s ancient secrets will be explained in the process of locating them?The first book from new author C.W. Trisef will have you cheering for Ret as he travels a submerged road, discovers a lost city, climbs an electrifying mountain, and begins to unravel the mystery of the Oracle...all during his first year of high school.
Published by: BookBaby | Publication date: 06/01/2011Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 348 pages
After 30 years of working with the Oracle Database, this Expert teaches SQL Tuning to the masses. Not a book of quick tips or rare oddities, these pages teach real knowledge. They present a practical process for tuning badly performing SQL that works reliably in the real world of the Oracle Professional. Refined and Distilled to save you years of the hard grinding everyone else had to go through to learn how to do it, these pages will teach you:- The Power of Cardinalities (Estimated Cardinality, Actual Cardinality, Table Cardinality, Cardinality Feedback)- The Importance of Driving Table and Join Order (Join Sentence, Join Tree, Query Diagram, Query Data Model)- The use of Query Decomposition and Reconstruction in localizing the problem component of a query- How to construct a Filtered Rows Percentage Spreadsheet to learn if a query got off to a good start- How to extract useful information from Oracle Query Execution Plans (Query Modification, Cardinality Estimation, Fetch Efficiency, Join Efficiency)- How to build indexes and evaluate their value to a specific problem query (DUNSEL Columns, Inequality Predicates, Column Modification, Column Order, Predicate Selectivity)- How to build the proper set of indexes for specific problem queries when necessary using a formal process (ACCESS, FILTER, COVERAGE, POST-TABLE FILTERING, Indexing for a Driving Table, Indexing for an Inner Table in a Join)- How to make joins go faster, particularly Hash Join (2% Rule, Precision Query vs. Warehouse Query, Most Common Join Failures Scenarios, Tuning the Hash Join)- How to use hints as a discovery tool instead of a club- The Absolute Necessity of Good Database Design in Assuring top Performance (Modeling Paradigm, 3rd Normal Form, SQL Workload Types (OLTP, DSS, Analytic), Fundamentals of Statistics (NDV, Uniform Distribution, Dependence, Dynamic Sampling), Addressing Statistics Problems (Staleness, Skew, Dependence, Defaulting, Out-of-Bounds, Transiency, Bloat)- Opening Moves used in the trenches for quick diagnosis under pressure (The Typical Crisis Meeting, Query Analysis Breakdown, Three Kinds of Row Counts, Types of QEP Plan Steps, Questions used to Guide the Analysis)- As a bonus, a special chapter offers unique perspective on EXADATA and how to position yourself to exploit its opportunities as a Developer or DBA (Sales Pitch vs. Reality, How much faster will your Apps go?, 40X Speed Up?, SMARTSCAN, Column Projection, Row Filtering, iDB Messaging, Storage Indexes, Bloom Filters, What sours the Secret Sauce, EXADATA's effect on your Applications, NON-EXADATA query costs, Reality of Hybrid Columnar Compression, The Three Compression Strategies, Where you the Oracle Professional can be Unique)- How to document your work in a ways that let you show others how good you are and teach them how to tune tooSupported by a dozen of Kevin's powerful SQL scripts that make it much easier for you to succeed, you will learn and apply the knowledge and processes found in this book and soon be recognized as one of your company's top SQL Tuning Technicians.
Publication date: 01/04/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 348 pages
Written by Oracle insiders, this indispensable guide distills an enormous amount of information about the Oracle Database into one compact volume. Ideal for novice and experienced DBAs, developers, managers, and users, Oracle Essentials walks you through technologies and features in Oracle’s product line, including its architecture, data structures, networking, concurrency, and tuning.Complete with illustrations and helpful hints, this fifth edition provides a valuable one-stop overview of Oracle Database 12c, including an introduction to Oracle and cloud computing. Oracle Essentials provides the conceptual background you need to understand how Oracle truly works.Topics include:
- A complete overview of Oracle databases and data stores, and Fusion Middleware products and features
- Core concepts and structures in Oracle’s architecture, including pluggable databases
- Oracle objects and the various datatypes Oracle supports
- System and database management, including Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Security options, basic auditing capabilities, and options for meeting compliance needs
- Performance characteristics of disk, memory, and CPU tuning
- Basic principles of multiuser concurrency
- Oracle’s online transaction processing (OLTP)
- Data warehouses, Big Data, and Oracle’s business intelligence tools
- Backup and recovery, and high availability and failover solutions
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 09/06/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 432 pages
Introduce the latest version of the fundamental SQL language used in all relational databases today with Casteel’s ORACLE 12C: SQL, 3E. Much more than a study guide, this edition helps those who have only a basic knowledge of databases master the latest SQL and Oracle concepts and techniques. Learners gain a strong understanding of how to use Oracle 12c SQL most effectively as they prepare for the first exam in the Oracle Database Administrator or Oracle Developer Certification Exam paths. This edition initially focuses on creating database objects, including tables, constraints, indexes, sequences, and more. The author then explores data query techniques, such as row filtering, joins, single-row functions, aggregate functions, subqueries, and views, as well as advanced query topics. ORACLE 12C: SQL, 3E introduces the latest features and enhancements in 12c, from enhanced data types and invisible columns to new CROSS and OUTER APPLY methods for joins. To help readers transition to further studies, appendixes introduce SQL tuning, compare Oracle's SQL syntax with other databases, and overview Oracle connection interface tools: SQL Developer and SQL Plus. Readers can trust ORACLE 12C: SQL, 3E to provide the knowledge for Oracle certification testing and the solid foundation for pursuing a career as a successful database administrator or developer.Important Notice: Media content referenced within the product description or the product text may not be available in the ebook version.
Published by: Cengage Learning | Publication date: 09/11/2015Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 604 pages
Master Oracle Database 12c PL/SQL Application Development Develop, debug, and administer robust database programs. Filled with detailed examples and expert strategies from an Oracle ACE, Oracle Database 12c PL/SQL Programming explains how to retrieve and process data, write PL/SQL statements, execute effective queries, incorporate PHP and Java, and work with dynamic SQL. Code testing, security, and object-oriented programming techniques are fully covered in this comprehensive Oracle Press guide.
- Explore new SQL and PL/SQL features in Oracle Database 12c
- Build control structures, cursors, and loop statements
- Work with collections, varrays, tables, and associative array collections
- Locate and repair errors and employ exception handlers
- Execute black box, white box, and integration tests
- Configure and manage stored packages and libraries
- Handle security with authentication and encryption
- Use LOBs to store text and multimedia content
- Write and implement PL/SQL and Java triggers
- Extend functionality using dynamic SQL statements
- Understand object types, nested tables, and unnesting queries
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education | Publication date: 02/07/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1192 pages
Considered the best Oracle PL/SQL programming guide by the Oracle community, this definitive guide is precisely what you need to make the most of Oracle’s powerful procedural language. The sixth edition describes the features and capabilities of PL/SQL up through Oracle Database 12c Release 1.Hundreds of thousands of PL/SQL developers have benefited from this book over the last twenty years; this edition continues that tradition. With extensive code examples and a lively sense of humor, this book explains language fundamentals, explores advanced coding techniques, and offers best practices to help you solve real-world problems.
- Get PL/SQL programs up and running quickly, with clear instructions for executing, tracing, testing, debugging, and managing code
- Understand new 12.1 features, including the ACCESSIBLE_BY clause, WITH FUNCTION and UDF pragma, BEQUEATH CURRENT_USER for views, and new conditional compilation directives
- Take advantage of extensive code samples, from easy-to-follow examples to reusable packaged utilities
- Optimize PL/SQL performance with features like the function result cache and Oracle utilities such as PL/Scope and the PL/SQL hierarchical profiler
- Build modular, easy-to-maintain PL/SQL applications using packages, procedures, functions, and triggers
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 01/23/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1392 pages
Write Powerful SQL Statements and PL/SQL Programs Learn how to access Oracle databases through SQL statements and construct PL/SQL programs. Oracle Database 12c SQL offers complete coverage of the latest database features and techniques. Find out how to write SQL statements to retrieve and modify database information, use SQL*Plus and SQL Developer, work with database objects, write PL/SQL programs, use performance optimization techniques, incorporate XML, and more. This Oracle Press guide contains everything you need to know to master SQL.
- Use SQL statements to access an Oracle database
- Work with SQL*Plus and SQL Developer
- Write PL/SQL programs
- Create tables, sequences, indexes, views, and triggers
- Design advanced queries containing complex calculations
- Create database objects to handle abstract data
- Use date, time stamp, and time interval data types
- Establish user roles and privileges
- Handle multimedia files using large objects
- Tune SQL statements to make them execute faster
- Generate, process, and store XML data
- Master the very latest Oracle Database 12c features
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education | Publication date: 06/26/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 688 pages
The adventure continues! With the first element (earth) painfully collected within the Oracle, Ret Cooper and his friends return home to find that things are only heating up. Thanks to some mischief caused by the peculiar Benjamin Coy, Ret’s second scar makes its explosive debut. But what does it mean, and where will it take them? These questions gnaw at Ret as he begins his sophomore year at Tybee High.With challenging twists, inspired turns, and a few unexpected surprises, our hero once again confronts danger and disaster, while discovering newfound feelings for a certain female companion. Old friends and foes, along with a few new ones, follow Ret as more of our world’s mysteries lead him to Fire Island and the second element (fire). Ancient artifacts, a hot-air balloon, lines in the desert, a city in the mountains, tribal societies, and even the navel of the world all play their parts in Ret’s continued quest to fill the Oracle.This second installment in the Oracle series is a must read, full of fun, adventure, and wholesome purpose. Hang on tight as author C.W. Trisef takes you to places and predicaments you have never seen before or even imagined, and makes you feel like you are a part of Ret’s destiny, to cure the world.
Published by: BookBaby | Publication date: 02/10/2012Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 332 pages
Two elements collected (earth and fire). Will the pain from Sunken Earth ever subside? Will the smoke rising from Fire Island ever disperse? Will Ret, Ana, and Paige ever complete their sophomore year? No, not yet! A third scar has appeared, pointing them to a place where Mr. Coy refuses to go. Fortunately for him, a fourth scar surfaces, one that takes them to the Amazon Rainforest, the Sahara Desert, and ultimately the City of Gold.We follow our heroes across sea and sand—along rivers wet and dry—on a journey that spans multiple continents as they seek out the hiding place of the third element (ore). Organized or vigilante, trouble finds them at every turn in lands where deadly curses abound. Somewhere, between golden arches and ancient ruins, an age-old secret is waiting to be uncovered.But Ret’s enemies are multiplying, a grim reality that will try the hearts of his friends. And even while some romances bloom and others fade, Ret and the gang must stay on guard. The Oracle is wasting no time now, clearly hastening the gathering of its elements. Things are in full motion; Ret feels this. So does Lye; he is ready—and waiting.
Published by: BookBaby | Publication date: 04/01/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 472 pages
Master the Cutting-Edge Features of Oracle Database 12c Maintain a scalable, highly available enterprise platform and reduce complexity by leveraging the powerful new tools and cloud enhancements of Oracle Database 12c. This authoritative Oracle Press guide offers complete coverage of installation, configuration, tuning, and administration. Find out how to build and populate Oracle databases, perform effective queries, design applications, and secure your enterprise data. Oracle Database 12c: The Complete Reference also contains a comprehensive appendix covering commands, keywords, features, and functions.
- Set up Oracle Database 12c or upgrade from an earlier version
- Design Oracle databases and plan for application implementation
- Construct SQL and SQL*Plus statements and execute powerful queries
- Secure data with roles, privileges, virtualization, and encryption
- Move data with SQL*Loader and Oracle Data Pump
- Restore databases using flashback and the Oracle Database Automatic Undo Management feature
- Build and deploy PL/SQL triggers, procedures, and packages
- Work with Oracle pluggable and container databases
- Develop database applications using Java, JDBC, and XML
- Optimize performance with Oracle Real Application Clusters
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education | Publication date: 08/05/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1472 pages