Fall, current day, Atlantic Ocean. Another hurricane tears through the Bahamas, headed for Florida. Among the wreckage: a U.S. Coast Guard rescue boat, one survivor (Ret Cooper), and a spherical object of curious design (the Oracle).Ret Cooper is a simple young man with mysterious origins, unique physical features, and no memory of his past. His new family and friends discover he is truly extraordinary, with supernatural powers and strange scars on the palms of his hands. But what is his destiny?The Oracle is the key to Earth's unity and full potential, too perfect to be man-made. Legend claims it can unleash limitless power when filled with Mother Nature's six, pure, original elements. But where are these elements? And which of our planet’s ancient secrets will be explained in the process of locating them?The first book from new author C.W. Trisef will have you cheering for Ret as he travels a submerged road, discovers a lost city, climbs an electrifying mountain, and begins to unravel the mystery of the Oracle...all during his first year of high school.
Published by: BookBaby | Publication date: 06/01/2011Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 348 pages
Considered the best Oracle PL/SQL programming guide by the Oracle community, this definitive guide is precisely what you need to make the most of Oracle’s powerful procedural language. The sixth edition describes the features and capabilities of PL/SQL up through Oracle Database 12c Release 1.Hundreds of thousands of PL/SQL developers have benefited from this book over the last twenty years; this edition continues that tradition. With extensive code examples and a lively sense of humor, this book explains language fundamentals, explores advanced coding techniques, and offers best practices to help you solve real-world problems.
- Get PL/SQL programs up and running quickly, with clear instructions for executing, tracing, testing, debugging, and managing code
- Understand new 12.1 features, including the ACCESSIBLE_BY clause, WITH FUNCTION and UDF pragma, BEQUEATH CURRENT_USER for views, and new conditional compilation directives
- Take advantage of extensive code samples, from easy-to-follow examples to reusable packaged utilities
- Optimize PL/SQL performance with features like the function result cache and Oracle utilities such as PL/Scope and the PL/SQL hierarchical profiler
- Build modular, easy-to-maintain PL/SQL applications using packages, procedures, functions, and triggers
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 01/23/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1392 pages
After 30 years of working with the Oracle Database, this Expert teaches SQL Tuning to the masses. Not a book of quick tips or rare oddities, these pages teach real knowledge. They present a practical process for tuning badly performing SQL that works reliably in the real world of the Oracle Professional. Refined and Distilled to save you years of the hard grinding everyone else had to go through to learn how to do it, these pages will teach you:- The Power of Cardinalities (Estimated Cardinality, Actual Cardinality, Table Cardinality, Cardinality Feedback)- The Importance of Driving Table and Join Order (Join Sentence, Join Tree, Query Diagram, Query Data Model)- The use of Query Decomposition and Reconstruction in localizing the problem component of a query- How to construct a Filtered Rows Percentage Spreadsheet to learn if a query got off to a good start- How to extract useful information from Oracle Query Execution Plans (Query Modification, Cardinality Estimation, Fetch Efficiency, Join Efficiency)- How to build indexes and evaluate their value to a specific problem query (DUNSEL Columns, Inequality Predicates, Column Modification, Column Order, Predicate Selectivity)- How to build the proper set of indexes for specific problem queries when necessary using a formal process (ACCESS, FILTER, COVERAGE, POST-TABLE FILTERING, Indexing for a Driving Table, Indexing for an Inner Table in a Join)- How to make joins go faster, particularly Hash Join (2% Rule, Precision Query vs. Warehouse Query, Most Common Join Failures Scenarios, Tuning the Hash Join)- How to use hints as a discovery tool instead of a club- The Absolute Necessity of Good Database Design in Assuring top Performance (Modeling Paradigm, 3rd Normal Form, SQL Workload Types (OLTP, DSS, Analytic), Fundamentals of Statistics (NDV, Uniform Distribution, Dependence, Dynamic Sampling), Addressing Statistics Problems (Staleness, Skew, Dependence, Defaulting, Out-of-Bounds, Transiency, Bloat)- Opening Moves used in the trenches for quick diagnosis under pressure (The Typical Crisis Meeting, Query Analysis Breakdown, Three Kinds of Row Counts, Types of QEP Plan Steps, Questions used to Guide the Analysis)- As a bonus, a special chapter offers unique perspective on EXADATA and how to position yourself to exploit its opportunities as a Developer or DBA (Sales Pitch vs. Reality, How much faster will your Apps go?, 40X Speed Up?, SMARTSCAN, Column Projection, Row Filtering, iDB Messaging, Storage Indexes, Bloom Filters, What sours the Secret Sauce, EXADATA's effect on your Applications, NON-EXADATA query costs, Reality of Hybrid Columnar Compression, The Three Compression Strategies, Where you the Oracle Professional can be Unique)- How to document your work in a ways that let you show others how good you are and teach them how to tune tooSupported by a dozen of Kevin's powerful SQL scripts that make it much easier for you to succeed, you will learn and apply the knowledge and processes found in this book and soon be recognized as one of your company's top SQL Tuning Technicians.
Publication date: 01/04/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1392 pages
Acacia is the Oracle of Delphi. She should be revered, protected, maybe even worshiped, but instead, she is held captive by Apollo’s priests and forced to breathe fumes that induce her naturally occurring visions. When a warlord comes to her for counsel, freedom seems to be within her grasp, provided she can convince him release her and risk the wrath of the gods.
Publication date: 07/07/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 85 pages
Written by Oracle insiders, this indispensable guide distills an enormous amount of information about the Oracle Database into one compact volume. Ideal for novice and experienced DBAs, developers, managers, and users, Oracle Essentials walks you through technologies and features in Oracle’s product line, including its architecture, data structures, networking, concurrency, and tuning.Complete with illustrations and helpful hints, this fifth edition provides a valuable one-stop overview of Oracle Database 12c, including an introduction to Oracle and cloud computing. Oracle Essentials provides the conceptual background you need to understand how Oracle truly works.Topics include:
- A complete overview of Oracle databases and data stores, and Fusion Middleware products and features
- Core concepts and structures in Oracle’s architecture, including pluggable databases
- Oracle objects and the various datatypes Oracle supports
- System and database management, including Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Security options, basic auditing capabilities, and options for meeting compliance needs
- Performance characteristics of disk, memory, and CPU tuning
- Basic principles of multiuser concurrency
- Oracle’s online transaction processing (OLTP)
- Data warehouses, Big Data, and Oracle’s business intelligence tools
- Backup and recovery, and high availability and failover solutions
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 09/06/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 432 pages
The vast majority of Oracle SQL books discuss some syntax, provide the barest rudiments of using Oracle SQL, and perhaps include a few simple examples. It might be enough to pass a survey course, or give you some buzz words to drop in conversation with real Oracle DBAs. But if you use Oracle SQL on a regular basis, you want much more. You want to access the full power of SQL to write queries in an Oracle environment. You want a solid understanding of what's possible with Oracle SQL, creative techniques for writing effective and accurate queries, and the practical, hands-on information that leads to true mastery of the language. Simply put, you want useful, expert best practices that can be put to work immediately, not just non-vendor specific overview or theory.Updated to cover the latest version of Oracle, Oracle 10g, this edition of the highly regarded Mastering Oracle SQL has a stronger focus on technique and on Oracle's implementation of SQL than any other book on the market. It covers Oracle s vast library of built-in functions, the full range of Oracle SQL query-writing features, regular expression support, new aggregate and analytic functions, subqueries in the SELECT and WITH clauses, multiset union operators, enhanced support for hierarchical queries: leaf and loop detection, and the CONNECT_BY_ROOT operator, new partitioning methods (some introduced in Oracle9i Release 2), and the native XML datatype, XMLType.Mastering Oracle SQL, 2nd Edition fills the gap between the sometimes spotty vendor documentation, and other books on SQL that just don't explore the full depth of what is possible with Oracle-specific SQL. For those who want to harness the untapped (and often overlooked) power of Oracle SQL, this essential guide for putting Oracle SQL to work will prove invaluable.
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 06/22/2004Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 496 pages
Master Oracle Database 12c PL/SQL Application Development Develop, debug, and administer robust database programs. Filled with detailed examples and expert strategies from an Oracle ACE, Oracle Database 12c PL/SQL Programming explains how to retrieve and process data, write PL/SQL statements, execute effective queries, incorporate PHP and Java, and work with dynamic SQL. Code testing, security, and object-oriented programming techniques are fully covered in this comprehensive Oracle Press guide.
- Explore new SQL and PL/SQL features in Oracle Database 12c
- Build control structures, cursors, and loop statements
- Work with collections, varrays, tables, and associative array collections
- Locate and repair errors and employ exception handlers
- Execute black box, white box, and integration tests
- Configure and manage stored packages and libraries
- Handle security with authentication and encryption
- Use LOBs to store text and multimedia content
- Write and implement PL/SQL and Java triggers
- Extend functionality using dynamic SQL statements
- Understand object types, nested tables, and unnesting queries
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education | Publication date: 02/07/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1192 pages
Demystifying the power of the Oracle 12c database The Oracle database is the industry-leading relational database management system (RDMS) used from small companies to the world’s largest enterprises alike for their most critical business and analytical processing. Oracle 12c includes industry leading enhancements to enable cloud computing and empowers users to manage both Big Data and traditional data structures faster and cheaper than ever before. Oracle 12c For Dummies is the perfect guide for a novice database administrator or an Oracle DBA who is new to Oracle 12c. The book covers what you need to know about Oracle 12c architecture, software tools, and how to successfully manage Oracle databases in the real world.
- Highlights the important features of Oracle 12c
- Explains how to create, populate, protect, tune, and troubleshoot a new Oracle database
- Covers advanced Oracle 12c technologies including Oracle Multitenant—the "pluggable database" concept—as well as several other key changes in this release
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 10/24/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 435 pages
Speed up the execution of important database queries by making good choices about which indexes to create. Choose correct index types for different scenarios. Avoid indexing pitfalls that can actually have indexes hurting performance rather than helping. Maintain indexes so as to provide consistent and predictable query response over the lifetime of an application.Expert Oracle Indexing and Access Paths is about the one database structure at the heart of almost all performance concerns: the index. Database system performance is one of the top concerns in information technology today. Administrators struggle to keep up with the explosion of access and activity driven by the proliferation of computing into everything from phones to tablets to PCs in our increasingly connected world. At the heart of any good-performing database lies a sound indexing strategy that makes appropriate use of indexing, and especially of the vendor-specific indexing features on offer.Few databases fully exploit the wealth of data access mechanisms provided by Oracle. Expert Oracle Indexing and Access Paths helps by bringing together information on indexing and how to use it into one blissfully short volume that you can read quickly and have at your fingertips for reference. Learn the different types of indexes available and when each is best applied. Recognize when queries aren’t using indexes as you intend. Manage your indexing for maximum performance. Confidently use the In Memory column store feature as an alternate access path to improve performance. Let Expert Indexing in Oracle Database 12c be your guide to deep mastery of the most fundamental performance optimization structure in Oracle Database.
- Explains how indexes help performance, and sometimes hinder it too
- Demystifies the various index choices so that you can chose rightly
- Describes the database administration chores associated with indexes
- Demonstrates the use of the In Memory column store as an alternate access path to the data
- Create an overall indexing strategy to guide your decisions
- Choose the correct indexing mechanisms for your applications
- Manage and maintain indices to avoid degradation and preserve efficiency
- Take better advantage of underused index types such as index-organized tables
- Choose the appropriate columns to index, with confidence
- Blend partitioning and materialized views into your indexing strategy
Published by: Apress | Publication date: 09/27/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 257 pages
Master the Cutting-Edge Features of Oracle Database 12c Maintain a scalable, highly available enterprise platform and reduce complexity by leveraging the powerful new tools and cloud enhancements of Oracle Database 12c. This authoritative Oracle Press guide offers complete coverage of installation, configuration, tuning, and administration. Find out how to build and populate Oracle databases, perform effective queries, design applications, and secure your enterprise data. Oracle Database 12c: The Complete Reference also contains a comprehensive appendix covering commands, keywords, features, and functions.
- Set up Oracle Database 12c or upgrade from an earlier version
- Design Oracle databases and plan for application implementation
- Construct SQL and SQL*Plus statements and execute powerful queries
- Secure data with roles, privileges, virtualization, and encryption
- Move data with SQL*Loader and Oracle Data Pump
- Restore databases using flashback and the Oracle Database Automatic Undo Management feature
- Build and deploy PL/SQL triggers, procedures, and packages
- Work with Oracle pluggable and container databases
- Develop database applications using Java, JDBC, and XML
- Optimize performance with Oracle Real Application Clusters
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education | Publication date: 08/05/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 1472 pages