Explaining how going green can pay for itself, Green Computing: Tools and Techniques for Saving Energy, Money, and Resources ties the green agenda in IT to the broader corporate agenda in risk management, brand management, and reputation management. Written by a leading author in the IT field, this authoritative reference provides easy access to quotable budget justifications that readers can use to place IT stakeholders on the same page for this new agenda that can save valuable resources and the planet.Bringing together everything IT professionals need to know about green computing, the book embodies a new philosophy on how to deploy IT devices, software, and services in a way that makes people more effective with fewer resources. It presents helpful tips on how to maximize energy savings as well as how to present information gradually to allow peers and stakeholders to absorb it.The book’s comprehensive coverage includes various types of hardware and software, including the changes currently happening, underlying trends, products currently on the market, and what to expect—or, in some cases, what organizations should ask for—from suppliers in the future.On the hardware side, the book considers tablet computers—examining the iPad® and Android®-based tablets. On the software side, it examines the general trend toward cloud computing. It provides important examples of this rapidly emerging trend as well as guidance on how to use the cloud to make software available and to store large amounts of data.Demonstrating the savings and increased business resiliency that can result from green computing, this book offers C-suite executives, senior IT management, project managers, suppliers, and market analysts with the tools required to understand why you need to act, how to act, what to buy, when to do it, and who should act.
Published by: Auerbach Publications | Publication date: 07/08/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 262 pages
Get your PC running at full speed again--and remove malevolent software Save yourself time, money, and frustration by becoming your own computer guru. The Healthy PC: Preventive Care, Home Remedies, and Green Computing, Second Edition shows you how to find out what's wrong with your PC and solve the problems yourself. You'll get expert tips for making your PC start up faster, keeping its hard drive in good shape, and updating Windows with the latest security fixes. This hands-on guide also explains how to protect your PC for free using Microsoft Security Essentials, use the Internet safely, and configure parental controls to protect your children both online and offline.
- Disable unnecessary startup items and boost virtual memory
- Defragment your PC's hard disk and reclaim wasted space
- Armor your PC against attacks, viruses, malware, and spyware
- Protect Windows by applying the latest patches and fixes
- Lock down your wired and wireless Internet and network connections against intruders
- Surf safely and reduce risks from e-mail, IM, and social networking
- Keep your children safe online
- Maximize your PC's memory and add external hard drives
- Upgrade to Windows 7 and transfer your files and settings
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education | Publication date: 12/06/2011Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 306 pages
In this new paperback edition of the classic bestseller, you'll be taken on a hilarious, fast-paced ride through the history of ideas. Author Scott Berkun will show you how to transcend the false stories that many business experts, scientists, and much of pop culture foolishly use to guide their thinking about how ideas change the world. With four new chapters on putting the ideas in the book to work, updated references and over 50 corrections and improvements, now is the time to get past the myths, and change the world.You'll have fun while you learn:
- Where ideas come from
- The true history of history
- Why most people don't like ideas
- How great managers make ideas thrive
- The importance of problem finding
- The simple plan (new for paperback)
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 08/13/2010Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 248 pages
The easy way to understand and implement cloud computing technology written by a team of experts Cloud computing can be difficult to understand at first, but the cost-saving possibilities are great and many companies are getting on board. If you've been put in charge of implementing cloud computing, this straightforward, plain-English guide clears up the confusion and helps you get your plan in place. You'll learn how cloud computing enables you to run a more green IT infrastructure, and access technology-enabled services from the Internet ("in the cloud") without having to understand, manage, or invest in the technology infrastructure that supports them. You'll also find out what you need to consider when implementing a plan, how to handle security issues, and more.
- Cloud computing is a way for businesses to take advantage of storage and virtual services through the Internet, saving money on infrastructure and support
- This book provides a clear definition of cloud computing from the utility computing standpoint and also addresses security concerns
- Offers practical guidance on delivering and managing cloud computing services effectively and efficiently
- Presents a proactive and pragmatic approach to implementing cloud computing in any organization
- Helps IT managers and staff understand the benefits and challenges of cloud computing, how to select a service, and what's involved in getting it up and running
- Highly experienced author team consults and gives presentations on emerging technologies
Published by: For Dummies | Publication date: 01/29/2010Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 338 pages
If you want to get started with AngularJS, either as a side project, an additional tool, or for your main work, this practical guide teaches you how to use this meta-framework step-by-step, from the basics to advanced concepts. By the end of the book, you’ll understand how to develop a large, maintainable, and performant application with AngularJS.Guided by two engineers who worked on AngularJS at Google, you’ll learn the components needed to build data-driven applications, using declarative programming and the Model–view–controller pattern. You’ll also learn how to conduct unit tests on each part of your application.
- Learn how to use controllers for moving data to and from views
- Understand when to use AngularJS services instead of controllers
- Communicate with the server to store, fetch, and update data asynchronously
- Know when to use AngularJS filters for converting data and values to different formats
- Implement single-page applications, using ngRoute to select views and navigation
- Dive into basic and advanced directives for creating reusable components
- Write an end-to-end test on a live version of your entire application
- Use best practices, guidelines, and tools throughout the development cycle
Published by: O'Reilly Media | Publication date: 09/08/2014Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 322 pages
Use solid and practical exercises to master the fundamentals of Adobe Animate CC. This is one of the first comprehensive books on Adobe Animate CC to thoroughly examine and demonstrate how to create and deploy interactive and motion design content to mobile, tablet, and desktop screens. Using a series of carefully developed tutorials, Beginning Adobe Animate CC will lead you from basic Animate CC document workflows to the point where you can create animations, interactive projects, and anything else using a variety of techniques. Each chapter focuses on a major aspect of Animate CC and then lets you take over with a series of "Your Turn" exercises that let you create amazing projects based on what you have learned.Beginning Adobe Animate CC focuses on the core skill set needed to master Animate CC and while you are at it, you will be guided to the mastery of the fundamentals, such as drawing tools, movie clips, video and audio content, text, graphics, external data, components, and a solid overview of the code you need to know to take your skills to the next level.What You Will Learn:
- Create and deploy animated and interactive content for the HTML 5 universe.
- Create images and vector graphics for use in Animate CC.
- Examine a variety of animation techniques that make full use of the Animate CC timeline.
- Add video and audio content to an Animate CC project.
- Use many of the graphic creation tools in Animate CC.
- Publish your projects to a variety of formats.
Published by: Apress | Publication date: 03/06/2017Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 596 pages
A dozen fiendishly fun projects for the Raspberry Pi! This wickedly inventive guide shows you how to create all kinds of entertaining and practical projects with Raspberry Pi operating system and programming environment. In Raspberry Pi Projects for the Evil Genius, you’ll learn how to build a Bluetooth-controlled robot, a weather station, home automation and security controllers, a universal remote, and even a minimalist website. You’ll also find out how to establish communication between Android devices and the RasPi. Each fun, inexpensive Evil Genius project includes a detailed list of materials, sources for parts, schematics, and lots of clear, well-illustrated instructions for easy assembly. The larger workbook-style layout makes following the step-by-step instructions a breeze. Build these and other devious devices:
- LED blinker
- MP3 player
- Camera controller
- Bluetooth robot
- Earthquake detector
- Home automation controller
- Weather station
- Home security controller
- RFID door latch
- Remote power controller
- Radon detector
Published by: McGraw-Hill Education TAB | Publication date: 09/05/2013Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 226 pages
Why should you use Scrum in your web projects? Simply put, it'll enable your team to get more done in less time.Scrum is the most popular agile project management methodology used in web projects today. While most Scrum books tend to be lengthy textbooks that cover every detail of Scrum for all types of organizations, this highly practical book concentrates solely on how best to apply Scrum in web and mobile development projects. In it, you'll learn:
- An overview of Scrum fundamentals for web and mobile projects
- Get familiar with Scrum's roles: Scrum master, product owner, team members, and interested observers
- Understand Scrum's rituals: sprint planning meetings, daily standups, work process, demos, and sprint retrospectives
- Gain a thorough understanding of the tools used in Scrum: burndown charts, story cards, sprint backlogs
- Troubleshoot typical Scrum issues
Published by: SitePoint | Publication date: 01/26/2016Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 300 pages
Geared toward IT management and business executives seeking to excel in business intelligence initiatives, this practical guide explores creating business alignment strategies that help prioritize business requirements, build organizational and cultural strategies, increase IT efficiency, and promote user adoption. Business intelligence, together with business analytics and performance management, eliminates information overload by organizing the massive amounts of information available in the modern enterprise. Addressing the challenges of business intelligence operations, this resource supports the goal of better business decision making and identifying unrealized opportunities. Each chapter includes a checklist of recommended approaches and a strategy overview template.
Published by: Mc Press | Publication date: 11/01/2010Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 137 pages
This book describes computing innovation, using non-volatile memory for a sustainable world. It appeals to both computing engineers and device engineers by describing a new means of lower power computing innovation, without sacrificing performance over conventional low-voltage operation. Readers will be introduced to methods of design and implementation for non-volatile memory which allow computing equipment to be turned off normally when not in use and to be turned on instantly to operate with full performance when needed.
Published by: Springer | Publication date: 09/26/2012Kindle book details: Kindle Edition, 213 pages